Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sat December 11th, 2010, 5:19 pm

The Kings's Speech with Colin Firth as "Bertie"--King George VI, Helena Bonham Carter as Queen Elizabeth (the current queen's parents), and Geoffrey Rush as Lionel Logue, Bertie's unorthodox speech therapist. Amazing film with great acting and interesting cinematography. You could smell the fear (metaphorically--no scratch 'n' sniff) as the future king stared at the wireless microphone--dead air for several long, heartbreaking moments; cut aways to a stricken wife and embarrassed subjects--then he stammers his way through a (seemingly) endless speech. It's basically a different kind of buddy movie as a commoner from Australia befriends the friendless royal. Based on a true story. Made me want to know more.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat December 11th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Mrs. Brown. Very good performances. Loved it.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sat December 11th, 2010, 10:38 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Must admit he doesn't do it for me, but those costumes are beautiful, gorgeous colours.

The production values in these dramas are staggering. If you think the colours these photos are intense, you should see the women's clothing -- not to mention the jewelry. One of the thing I've noticed is that they try to keep things as correct as possible to the time and place, right on down to the food for heaven's sake and they've built a huge shooting set where they've pretty much recreated a palace or two, and quite a few villages.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Sun December 12th, 2010, 12:12 am

I purchased and watched today an enjoyable UCLA restored 1947 film about a scoundrel based on a de Maupassant story, The Private Affairs of Bel Ami , made by the team that did The Picture of Dorian Gray -- starring George Sanders, Angela Lansbury, Ann Dvorak, and Warren William.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sun December 12th, 2010, 4:39 am

Posted by Faith
You could smell the fear (metaphorically--no scratch 'n' sniff) as the future king stared at the wireless microphone--dead air for several long, heartbreaking moments; cut aways to a stricken wife and embarrassed subjects--then he stammers his way through a (seemingly) endless speech. It's basically a different kind of buddy movie as a commoner from Australia befriends the friendless royal. Based on a true story. Made me want to know more

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother never forgave her husband Bertie's brother, Edward VIII the Abdicator or his wife Wallis Simpson (the Duke and Duchess of Windsor) for putting Bertie/George VI in the situation where he'd be forced as king to deal with the torment of public speaking on a regular basis.
Last edited by annis on Sun December 12th, 2010, 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Mon December 13th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Finally finished watching all 13 episodes of Season one of Spartacus Blood & Sand, and really enjoyed it. I'm sad to hear about Whitfield's cancer recurrence and that they will be recasting the role for Season 2, though. Hard to imagine anyone else playing Spartacus now. However, best wishes for a full recovery for Whitfield.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon December 13th, 2010, 4:41 pm

Step Brothers. It was both vile and ridiculous.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Tue December 14th, 2010, 3:46 am

I am Love with Tilda Swinton. Moody Italian melodrama, with Swinton as a wealthy adulterous wife. Marisa Berenson makes a cameo appearance as her mother-in-law.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Tue December 14th, 2010, 4:32 am

Posted by CW
Marisa Berenson makes a cameo appearance as her mother-in-law.

I seem to be on a Kubrick roll at the moment - just re-watched Barry Lyndon (with Marisa Berenson as the beautiful if rather vacuous Countess of Lyndon). I don't remember the movie being so very looong in the '70s though. Maybe I just have less patience these days--

Thackeray's hard-done-by Countess of Lyndon was based on an actual historical figure - Mary Eleanor Bowes, Dowager Countess of Strathmore, heiress of a very wealthy Durham family. This widowed lady had many suitors, but in 1777 Stoney, a bankrupt Anglo-Irish lieutenant on half pay, who had fought a duel on her behalf, induced her to marry him, and subsequently hyphenated her name with his own. He became member of Parliament, and ran such extravagant courses as does Barry Lyndon, treated his wife with similar barbarity, abducted her when she had escaped from him, and then, after being divorced, found his way to a debtors’ prison.
Last edited by annis on Tue December 14th, 2010, 4:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat December 18th, 2010, 1:33 am

Finished Mongol and I really liked it. Even my husband said he might be interested in seeing the other films in the trilogy and he usually hates anything with subtitles.

Also watched BBC's The Other Boleyn Girl from 2003. Despite a good cast it basically sucked as an adaptation. The reality-TV-style confession cam was too much. Writer/director seems to have skimmed the book, if she read it at all. There's a part where Henry VIII refers to Anne as "the other Boleyn girl." Liberties taken, story largely lost.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”