Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Sun December 5th, 2010, 3:22 am

"parthianbow" wrote:Thanks for that, CW. I love world cinema, and there have been some excellent Argentinian films in the recent past. Have you seen Nueve Reinas from a few years ago? It's fab.

On my Latin American to-watch list at the moment are Sin Nombre, about the gangs who control the illegal migrants travelling north through Central America, and The Maid, a reputedly excellent Chilean drama about a family and their very scary maid. Have you seen them?

I loved Nueve Reinas! You'll like Secret in Their Eyes a lot, I think.
I have Sin Nombre on my Netflix list but not The Maid. Now, I'm going to look for it.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Sun December 5th, 2010, 3:24 am

"Divia" wrote:Watched Agora. OMG the Christians look like a bunch of ignorant haters in that movie.

Oh, I loved that, too. I cried at the end. Silly me :o

I saw Crazy Heart with Jeff Bridges last night: sublime. Well worth it, plus Mr Bridges finally won the Academy Award for this and he deserved it.

THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sun December 5th, 2010, 3:25 am

"cw gortner" wrote:Oh, I loved that, too. I cried at the end. Silly me :o

It was wicked sad! And it made me angry to see all that knowledge slip away.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Postby wendy » Sun December 5th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Haven't seen it yet (because it's not playing around here) but can't wait to see the Black Swan. I love dance movies!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun December 5th, 2010, 1:17 pm

I dunno, after reading the NYer review, it looks a little too dark for me.

Saw Tangled yesterday - what a wonderful take on the Rapanzel story! Animation is grand; the spectacle of thousands of paper lanterns floating up to the sky over the water is worth the price of admission. But the story itself is perfect and much to my delight, the very few songs in the movie are short, well sung, and without huge production. Really, there's not much I didn't like about it. Perfect even for adults who are forced to bring their kids to it.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun December 5th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Baby Mama was ok. Good for a couple laughs if you don't want to think too much.

Also Picture This with Ashley Tisdale and Kevin Pollack (among others). Again not a film that requires many brain cells to watch, but pretty good overall. The pictures theme carries throughout the film nicely.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Tue December 7th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Needed a laugh, so watched Get Smart with Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart and Anne Hathaway as Agent 99. Had a few chuckles and fun looking for the homages to the original.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

chuck
Bibliophile

Jeff Bridges

Postby chuck » Tue December 7th, 2010, 4:47 pm

"cw gortner" wrote:Oh, I loved that, too. I cried at the end. Silly me :o

I saw Crazy Heart with Jeff Bridges last night: sublime. Well worth it, plus Mr Bridges finally won the Academy Award for this and he deserved it.

Sublime...Perfect description of "Crazy Heart"....Have always been a JB fan....He was terrific in "A Door in the Floor".....Next up "Queen Margot" and the stunningly beautiful Isabelle Adjani...not sure how accurate the history is?...but a interesting and disturbing film....Excellent cast

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Tue December 7th, 2010, 8:29 pm

"wendy" wrote:Haven't seen it yet (because it's not playing around here) but can't wait to see the Black Swan. I love dance movies!

I'm seeing it this weekend. Can't wait! Natalie Portman goes schizo in a tutu. Hello.
Last edited by cw gortner on Tue December 7th, 2010, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Tue December 7th, 2010, 8:33 pm

"chuck" wrote:Next up "Queen Margot" and the stunningly beautiful Isabelle Adjani...not sure how accurate the history is?...but a interesting and disturbing film....Excellent cast

Yeah, the history is iffy but who cares? :p The costuming and photography are gorgeous, as are Adjani and Vincent Perez; the Spanish singer Miguel Bose is intense as Guise, and Virni Lisi knocks it out the park as a reptilian Catherine de Medici. I loved her, despite the full Dumas treament. The way she chews her inner lip and offers that baleful stare - perfection.

Last night, I saw Whip It with Ellen Page, directed by Drew Barrymore. A film about a teenager who becomes a female roller derby champion: very fun.

Forgot to add, I'm a huge JB fan, too, ever since he smoked his 105th cigarette and let Michelle Pfieffer shimmy on his piano in The Fabulous Baker Boys. One of the most talented and underrated actors in the business, in my opinion. I'd pay to watch him sell soap.
Last edited by cw gortner on Tue December 7th, 2010, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”