Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

emr
Compulsive Reader

Postby emr » Mon October 25th, 2010, 7:19 am

"chuck" wrote:PBS Mystery Theater's "Sherlock"...Holmes and Watson in the 21st Century....Starring Mark Gatiss and Stephen Moffat.....Brilliant.....

I saw as well the first shot version of the pilot. Same script, plain direction. It shows the difference with the excellent version they did air in the end. Amazing.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Sat October 30th, 2010, 6:03 am

Just watched Girl Who Played with Fire. Excellent! I'm in love with Lisbeth Salander - such a fantastically bizarre author creation - though now I must read the books, as I'm hooked via the two films. I'm eagerly awaiting the third and last film. It's so sad to think Steig Larsson never got to enjoy the phenomenon his work has become.

Also, these are another successful film trilogy being remade by Hollywood, apparently. Why bother, besides the obvious cash rewards? The Swedish versions are marvelous and the actress playing Lisbeth is stellar.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Postby LoobyG » Sat October 30th, 2010, 9:30 am

I think it's a mistake to remake them, because I don't think you could better the actress playing Lisbeth! I'm hooked on the films too CW but again I haven't read the books as yet. They're on my wish list for when Mt. TBR shrinks a little... :rolleyes:

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat October 30th, 2010, 1:46 pm

There is no reason to remake them - except for the money, and that many Americans won't watch movies with subtitles. I find many of these movies a piece of cake to watch; the best ones are so good half the time I don't realize Im reading! Ah well, they lose out.

That being said, I read the first book, and while I liked it have no desire to read the second or to watch the movies. I think my violence quota has been filled for this year. Tho I too loved Lisbet - what a great character!

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Sat October 30th, 2010, 5:12 pm

Speaking of subtitles, back in college during the 1950s, many of us of both genders were disappointed when our dates complained they went by too quickly for them to understand.

I learned early in life to ask in advance if a foreign film was subtitled or dubbed. Hated dubbing. Still do.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Sat October 30th, 2010, 5:44 pm

Enjoy Foreign Films very much....enjoy the subtitles....Thought provoking,beautifully photographed along with interesting scenery/sets/costumes/actors....and very little use of computer generated Special Effects....In my humble opinion.....

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sat October 30th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Sleepy Hollow. Good movie this weather, and so close to Halloween.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Sat October 30th, 2010, 6:52 pm

Yeah, the movies, and I suppose the books, too, are pretty violent. But so engaging, too; at least, the violence serves a purpose. I hate remakes as a rule; I just don't see the point. Vanilla Sky was the perfect example of this; the Spanish version, Abre Tus Ojos, also with Penelope Cruz, was so much better. And subtitles have improved vastly; I notice with Spanish films that they're much more on the mark with what's actually being said. I can't stand dubbing; the Girl Who Played With Fire DVD came with a dubbed or subtitled version and I watched the subtitled one. With dubbing, somehow the mouths never seem to be moving quite in sync with the dialogue. It's distracting.

I want to read the Larssen novels, too, but who knows when I'll get to them? Mt TBR is starting to look like Sierra TBR! :D

Love Sleepy Hollow; perfect film for this time of year, actually.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!

THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sat October 30th, 2010, 10:57 pm

"cw gortner" wrote:
Love Sleepy Hollow; perfect film for this time of year, actually.

Johnny Depp is nice to look at too. :D
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat October 30th, 2010, 11:05 pm

I liked Sleepy Hollow, but Christina Ricci as a blond was distracting. Just didn't look right.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”