Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Fri September 17th, 2010, 12:41 am

"Ludmilla" wrote:If you like the Gladiator soundtrack and are not familiar with the group, Dead Can Dance, you should check them out. Lisa Gerrard, who provided the haunting vocals for Gladiator, was a member of DCD (though I think DCD is a dead collaboration now).

There's a 2nd companion CD titled "Gladiator: More Music from the Motion Picture" which is additional music that wasn't included in the movie and dialogue from the movie in a few tracks.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Fri September 17th, 2010, 6:52 pm

I saw the new Clash of the Titians. I know it's pulp and I missed Harry Hamlin and his constant wardrobe malfunction, but otherwise it was fun enough.

LOVE Dead can Dance! I used to write while listening to their music. I still do, sometimes. I actually saw Lisa Gerrard in concert a few years ago, when she was touring her album The Silver Tree. She was astonishing; her voice in person is even more powerful and haunting than on recordings.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sat September 18th, 2010, 3:11 am

"cw gortner" wrote:I saw the new Clash of the Titians. I know it's pulp and I missed Harry Hamlin and his constant wardrobe malfunction, but otherwise it was fun enough.

Looking at Hans Matheson for fun for me. :D I'm not sure I've seen the original.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Postby Russ Whitfield » Sat September 18th, 2010, 11:14 am

"fljustice" wrote:DItto--I very much enjoyed the movie. I never go to the movies for accurate history or science. Movies are art and by their nature have a different standard of "truth." Personally, one of the fun things about seeing any historical film, particularly one I enjoyed, is later checking out the history behind the art. I appreciate both in their respective spheres. So my articles on the history behind a movie or TV show are not intended as "critiques" or reviews, but more like the "extras" on a DVD or the history popup feature on the HBO series Rome. ;)

Yep. Its entertainment at the end of the day. I've wondered why there's a need to extrapolate on or change things (in the Roman era at least) cos the real deal was dramatic enough.

I do think that if people - kids especially - are inspired by movies like "Gladiator" and *spit* "300" to go and learn more about the real stuff, that's the important thing. I don't go much for angry reviews that point out every historical inaccuracy in a movie (or book for that matter). I think that if you know enough to know that its wrong, why shout about it? Does it make a better or worse movie cos its inaccurate? I don't know that it does.

This is one of the reasons why I enjoyed your essays so much - I think you sum it up brilliantly here when you say that they're like DVD extras - you're not getting outraged cos the third centurion from the left is wearing the wrong calligae and the film-makers should be crucified for this error that ruined the entire film. Your essays are really informative and point out the facts without getting carried away in righteous fury - clearly, you know your stuff and are kind enough to share that knowledge.

Gladiator is a great example of that. Way off historically, it uses factual elements. Commodus fought in the arena for instance but the movie isn't accurate (he wasn't killed by a general who became a slave, a slave who became a gladiator - he was killed by a professional wrestler. Few emperors died in their beds - fewer by the hand of Brett "Hitman" Heart).

Now, if you don't know a fig about Roman history, is "Gladiator" any less entertaining because it deviates from the facts? I don't think so, because you're none the wiser. If you know enough, then I can't see the point in wailing and gnashing your teeth on amazon.com about it. Its still a great film - its just not a documentary.

Also, I feel that these decisions are made by movie makers for a plethora of reasons - pace, budget, location - even health and safety. For instance, the legionary's in "Centurion" weren't allowed to throw pila cos the HSE guys said it was too dangerous. I've seen reviews decrying the film-makers for the soldiers "not having the right kit." Look a bit deeper and you find the reasons for this.

So yeah - movies are never going to 100% accurate either in story, kit or whatever...as I say, its for a variety of reasons. As long as it entertains and perhaps inspires then its no foul. Well, most of the time, anyway - playing devils advocate against myself, I do feel that some movies just go too far with bending things but as I say...you can't please all of the people all of the time!
Last edited by Russ Whitfield on Sat September 18th, 2010, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sat September 18th, 2010, 3:49 pm

"Russ Whitfield" wrote:I don't go much for angry reviews that point out every historical inaccuracy in a movie (or book for that matter). I think that if you know enough to know that its wrong, why shout about it? Does it make a better or worse movie cos its inaccurate? I don't know that it does.

This is one of the reasons why I enjoyed your essays so much - I think you sum it up brilliantly here when you say that they're like DVD extras - you're not getting outraged cos the third centurion from the left is wearing the wrong calligae and the film-makers should be crucified for this error that ruined the entire film. Your essays are really informative and point out the facts without getting carried away in righteous fury - clearly, you know your stuff and are kind enough to share that knowledge.

Thanks for the thumbs up, Russ! It sounds like we're on the same page. :)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

JoshuaKaitlyn
Reader

Postby JoshuaKaitlyn » Sat September 18th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Watched 'Robin Hood' tonight. It tried to be different but it just didn't do it for me. Also having read 'The Greatest Knight' & 'The Scarlet Lion' I couldn't really see William Hurt as William Marshal. Pity really as I had great expectations of this, really enjoyed Ridley Scott's other historical epics, 'Gladiator' 'Kingdom of Heaven' and 'Blackhawk Down'.
Alea Jacta Est

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Sun September 19th, 2010, 5:34 am

Just saw The Runaways with Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning, as Joan Jett and Cherrie in the early days of the band, before Joan went on to form the Blackhearts.

Amazing performances; excellent film.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!

THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Sun September 19th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Watched "Sukiyaki Western Django" last night, which I can only describe as an indulgence.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun September 19th, 2010, 5:01 pm

The new "Star Trek", again :)

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Mon September 20th, 2010, 4:56 pm

The Black Death.

Nicely done, but predictable and not scary enough. Think Name of the Rose meets Wicker Man meets Heart of Darkness.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”