Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

chuck
Bibliophile

Pirate Radio...

Postby chuck » Sun July 25th, 2010, 3:54 am

"Leo62" wrote:This sounds suspiciously like The Boat That Rocked...did they change the title for the US?

You are correct.....

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sun July 25th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Did a double header at our local art house yesterday to avoid the oppressive heat - Inception with Leonardo DiCaprio and the 1933 version of Alice in Wonderland with Gary Grant (Mock Turtle), Gary Cooper (White Knight) and W.C. Fields (Humpty Dumpty). Both involved dreaming and unreality but what a difference in production almost 80 years make!

The first was mind blowing. I loved the surreal scenes where a city folds over onto itself and Escher stairs lead you back to your beginning. The story is layer after layer of unreality and a little hard to keep track of. I'd like to see it again and analyze the story more closely. Alice was mind blowing in its own way. I remember watching this version on TV and loving the White Knight, but then anything on or about horses enthralled me. This version is a mash up of Through the Looking Glass and Alice in Wonderland and, in the way of dreams, fades through it's own surreal landscape. Made me want to go back and reread the books!
Last edited by fljustice on Mon July 26th, 2010, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun July 25th, 2010, 4:47 pm

"Leo62" wrote:I wouldn't, if you value your sanity. But that's just IMO ;)

What sanity? I have children. ;)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Thu July 29th, 2010, 9:01 pm

Leap Day. I love Amy Adams, but that one was missable.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Thu July 29th, 2010, 10:23 pm

"chuck" wrote:Just curious....what do you mean by "loosing your insanity"....re: "Pirate Radio"....

I'm sure I ranted about TBTR somewhere before on this thread, so I won't indulge again. Suffice to say, I didn't like it much and would not recommend it! :D

Saw the remake of Death at a Funeral last night. It was OK. A few funny moments. Not that different from the original to be honest...
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sun August 1st, 2010, 10:39 am

Watched Taken last night - good thriller with Liam Neeson, shades of 24 and Bond and a bit far-fetched, but a solid story and well-played.

Then chilled out and watched Twilight again, aaaah.
Currently reading "The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

Allie ~ Hist-Fic Chick
Scribbler

Postby Allie ~ Hist-Fic Chick » Sun August 1st, 2010, 4:16 pm

I recently watched Alice in Wonderland, Inception, and Shutter Island.

Was thoroughly disappointed in Alice...Burton could have done so much better! I didn't even think Wonderland looked anything like Wonderland.

Inception was great! It actually kind of reminded me of Shutter Island in the sense that both star DiCaprio and both deal with the idea of "what is reality?"

Shutter Island was creepy and I thought about it for days after. I didn't read the book but I enjoyed the movie.
Visit me on my blog, Hist-Fic Chick!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun August 1st, 2010, 7:04 pm

I want the 15 hours back from watching Inception. Oh, it was only 3? Coulda fooled me. Pity, because the premise was really interesting, and the acting good. And yeah, very cool effects, but they could have taken half the money they spent on it and put it into making some coherent story. I guess I'm in the minority on this, because every review has been outstanding. But this one is sort like Avatar to me. Very pretty, very interesting, but if you want to keep my attention, give me a good story and interesting characters. This could have been like Memento or Sixth Sense, but it badly needed an editor.

I agree about Alice; in Burton's hands, I was expecting a masterpiece. This was just horrid.

Eagerly awaiting Harry Potter - if consistency is any guareentee, it should be good!

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Postby Jemidar » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 5:32 pm

"Allie ~ Hist-Fic Chick" wrote:I recently watched Alice in Wonderland, Inception, and Shutter Island.

Was thoroughly disappointed in Alice...Burton could have done so much better! I didn't even think Wonderland looked anything like Wonderland.

Inception was great! It actually kind of reminded me of Shutter Island in the sense that both star DiCaprio and both deal with the idea of "what is reality?"

Shutter Island was creepy and I thought about it for days after. I didn't read the book but I enjoyed the movie.

I really, really want to see both Inception and Shutter Island!
Jenny
[SIZE=2]
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
[/SIZE]
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Currently Reading:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Suggestion of Scandal by Catherine Kullman & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 6:42 pm

I watched Defiance with Daniel Craig last night. I enjoyed it but it did seem quite a long film.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”