Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Tue July 20th, 2010, 1:25 pm

Bounty Hunter. not as good as I was lead on to believe but ok.

viadelprat
Scribbler

Inception deception

Postby viadelprat » Tue July 20th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Having seen and enjoyed Christopher Nolan's "Memento" and "The Prestige," I raced off to see "Inception" with high expectations.

I wish he would have spent more effort on character development and plot than on special effects. More and more, it seems that film makers think a big effects budget trumps everything else.

Maybe it's because I'm a novelist suffering from Hollywood envy, but I still want to care about characters, get wrapped up in their plight, and be surprised at the twists and turns of a meaningful story.

RSG
Author of No Roads Lead to Rome
History, Humor, and Hubris in 123 AD

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Tue July 20th, 2010, 2:14 pm

"fljustice" wrote:I hate that! We watched an American indie film a couple of months ago had to turn the subtitles on. Even some TV shot in a "reality" style is hard to follow. :mad:

I also left out the fooling around with colors to achieve a gritty look -- bluish, sepia. Oh, for more black and white.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Tue July 20th, 2010, 4:09 pm

"Leo62" wrote:The Ghost. Not bad, but marred by a silly ending.

I saw it a couple of months ago. That was a ridiculous ending. Made me want to throw my popcorn box at the screen. :rolleyes:
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Tue July 20th, 2010, 4:31 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Oh I hear that! :) I have a hard time going to the movies cause I do have slight hearing loss in one ear and I can't understand the speech sometimes! I'm always waiting for a movie to come on DVD so I can finally understand what I missed at the theatre! Thank the technical gods for Closed Captioning!

SM

I'm glad I'm not the only one... I've got hearing loss and have managed to make do without a hearing aid so far, but it is becoming increasingly problematic. It's not the loudness that matters. It's how much background noise covers up the speech and the mumbling, accents and whispering that give me the most trouble. I thought maybe it was my imagination that the speech seemed more crisp and clear in older movies. Nice to know that maybe it's not!

Last films watched:
Toystory 3 at theatre with my youngest
Gremlins with the kids at home
Book of Eli with hubby at home

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue July 20th, 2010, 5:48 pm

"Leo62" wrote:The Ghost. New Polanksi movie with Pierce Brosnan and Ewan McGregor. Not bad, but marred by a silly ending.

Isn't it the "Ghost Writer"?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue July 20th, 2010, 7:18 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Isn't it the "Ghost Writer"?SM

It is about a ghost writer, but in the UK it was called "The Ghost". Maybe the title was changed for other countries?
Currently reading "The Body in the Ice" by A J Mackenzie & "A Death in the Dales" by Julia Chapman

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue July 20th, 2010, 7:18 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:It is about a ghost writer, but in the UK it was called "The Ghost". Maybe the title was changed for other countries?

Must have!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Wed July 21st, 2010, 12:19 am

"viadelprat" wrote:I wish he would have spent more effort on character development and plot than on special effects. More and more, it seems that film makers think a big effects budget trumps everything else. RSG

I am having that problem more and more with movies. Avatar and Sorcerer's Apprentice are the two that stand out for me this summer, movies that could have been very good in their own right if the stories and characters were as good as the special effects. The next Harry Potter is coming this November; hopefully that will again be a good mix of the two (I undrstand that this is part I of the last book, and part II will open in July)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed July 21st, 2010, 4:52 am

"Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" Extended Version.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”