Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Fractured Winter by Allison Bailliet
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Fri June 18th, 2010, 8:17 am

Finally got round to watching Sex in the City (first one) last night. I enjoyed it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Fri June 18th, 2010, 3:43 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:Finally got round to watching Sex in the City (first one) last night. I enjoyed it.

Saw the second one last weekend. Thought there's no way it can be as bad as all the reviews said it was. It is.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri June 18th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Watched HBO's "Treme" very pleasantly surprised....The music and the street, bar life in New Orleans..... experiencing the Katrina aftermath....story relates around a number of interesting characters trying to adjust the sad plight of today's New Orleans....The Music is outstanding and the characters are very like able.....

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue June 22nd, 2010, 6:54 pm

Finally finished Centennial. Very, very impressed. I highly recommend it. Now I'm going to have to read the book (when I have time, ha ha ha).

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Tue June 22nd, 2010, 10:08 pm

@SATC2

"sweetpotatoboy" wrote:Saw the second one last weekend. Thought there's no way it can be as bad as all the reviews said it was. It is.

Mark Kermode did a brilliant rant about it - I'm glad the movie was made just so I could listen to it :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

JoshuaKaitlyn
Reader

Postby JoshuaKaitlyn » Tue June 22nd, 2010, 10:13 pm

Watched "Alfred the Great", "Khartoum" and "Rob Roy" over the weekend in an historical movie mood :D
Alea Jacta Est

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Postby Jemidar » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 12:45 pm

Watched the Katharine Hepburn & Peter O'Toole version of the Lion in Winter a couple of weeks ago, but didn't like it as much as I expected to.
Jenny
[SIZE=2]
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
[/SIZE]
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Currently Reading:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

Sharz
Reader

Postby Sharz » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 2:42 pm

Really, Jemidar? I watch it every few years, and each time I love it more.

4ever Queen
Reader

Postby 4ever Queen » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 5:27 pm

I watched Collapse last night, an amazing documentary about the correlation of our Oil peaks/prices and the maket crashing.

Right now waching I Love You, MAN... looks more like a guy's movie, we'll see :)
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed June 23rd, 2010, 8:50 pm

Jemidar, have you tried the more recent version with Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart in the lead roles. It was done for TV, so they could fit in more of the original play. Interestingly, the playright did the screenplays for both versions.

Though the acting is splendid, the music always kind of put me off the film version. When I was a child that theme combined with the schots during the opening credits was creepy, maybe even a little frightening.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”