Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat November 8th, 2008, 3:05 pm

"nona" wrote:Get Smart, lol, absolutely the funniest movie I've seen yet this year.

The critics really panned it, but man we just loved it! I think they were expecting it to be just like Get Smart the tv series. It wasn't - it was a smarter, cleaner, wittier one for the 21 century. Loved it!

We are going to see Changeling this weeken.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat November 8th, 2008, 3:07 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Yeah I saw "Keeping Mum" a few years ago, hilarious if a bit black humour.

SM

Loved that one; for some more black humor, tried Death at a Funeral. I don't think I've laughed so much at a movie, ever.

Hunter
Scribbler

Postby Hunter » Sat November 8th, 2008, 3:39 pm

I meant to mention Death at a Funeral. My wife and I really enjoyed that one, as well.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Sycamore Gap by L J Ross & The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sat November 8th, 2008, 3:57 pm

"nona" wrote:I haven't watched it just yet I plan to once we get back from the library and Ihave never read the book either so I'm going in blind on this one.

That's probably the best way to approach this version of WH! I agree with Christina that JB's French accent (lovely as it is) isn't really right for a Yorkshire lass, but it does stick closely to the book which most of the other movie versions don't (eg the one with Timothy Dalton which had Heathcliff being shot dead by Edgar) - there certainly have been some strange versions of this book! :eek: :p

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat November 8th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Wuthering Heights, is it just me or is this much earlier Cruel Intentions meets the whole Widecre (Philippa Gregory) gang? it was ok not a favorite though.

Hunter
Scribbler

Postby Hunter » Sun November 9th, 2008, 2:02 am

We just finished watching Kung Fu Panda on DVD (we got it from Netflix the day before it hits stores!). We had seen it in IMAX when it came out. Fun movie, and, IMO, the closest DreamWorks has ever come to making a Pixar-level animated movie.

And for something completely different, earlier today I watched Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd. It was good---but very weird and icky at the same time.

Hunter

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun November 9th, 2008, 2:22 am

I thought Sweeney Todd was perect for Johnnie Depp, though bloody.

watched the holiday this evening.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sun November 9th, 2008, 6:35 am

Watched the first half of Cranford the other night, and I hope to watch the second half tomorrow. For those of you who love English drama and the Victorians, it's a must see. Terrific production values and costumes. And Eileen Atkins is wonderful as Miss Jenkyns.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sun November 9th, 2008, 7:56 am

I saw the first couple of episodes but then managed to be out for the rest. I am hoping they will show it again soon and I will record it.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Sun November 9th, 2008, 9:38 am

"nona" wrote:Wuthering Heights, is it just me or is this much earlier Cruel Intentions meets the whole Widecre (Philippa Gregory) gang? it was ok not a favorite though.

Cruel Intentions is a rip-off of Les liaisons dangereuses an 18th century French novel, which is vastly superior.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”