Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue April 13th, 2010, 6:10 pm

"Ash" wrote:The only thing that bothered me about the movie was the fight between Julie and her husband; it seemed to come out of the blue. I suspect that the book delves into that more. And the modern political bits were really unnecessary. Even if I agreed with them, they did nothing for the story except offend quite a number of people. Otherwise I really enjoyed it. Streep as Child was just spot on perfect, and the chemistry between her and Stanley Tucci was amazing. And David and I got very hungry after watching all those people eating that amazing food!

I think I remember reading somewhere that the real Julie and her husband did split for a while after the book came out and she became well-know, think it was the usual story, neither of them could handle the attention and did some silly things etc. However I can't remember that bit in the film, but yes, it's not a movie to watch with an empty stomach! :D
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Tue April 13th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Just saw DIARY OF A WIMPY KID and I thought it was hilarious. I have never read the books and I really have no idea what propelled me to go and see a movie where I was the oldest geezer there, but it reminded me of SANDLOT in its humor. I was surprised to be laughing so hard. Very silly, but cute!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Kanal

Postby parthianbow » Tue April 13th, 2010, 8:26 pm

Kanal - a B & W Polish film about the uprising in the Jewish ghetto in Warsaw in 1944. If you've seen The Pianist and liked it, then try to see this. Be warned: it's unremittingly bleak - but all the more realistic for it.
Last edited by parthianbow on Tue April 13th, 2010, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: error
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Tue April 13th, 2010, 8:28 pm

I really liked The Pianist. I'll add Kanal to my Netflix list - thanks!
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Tue April 13th, 2010, 8:29 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:I think I remember reading somewhere that the real Julie and her husband did split for a while after the book came out and she became well-know, think it was the usual story, neither of them could handle the attention and did some silly things etc. However I can't remember that bit in the film, but yes, it's not a movie to watch with an empty stomach! :D

If you want to know what happened after the film was made, read Cleaving (my review of it is here: http://www.epinions.com/review/Book_Cleaving_A_Story_of_Marriage_Meat_and_Obsession_Julie_Powell_2047523973/content_493434343044), which revealed some things that really bothered me -- however, I didn't regret reading it.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun April 18th, 2010, 3:39 am

"The Golden Child"

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun April 18th, 2010, 2:14 pm

The Men Who Stare at Goats, hehe Clooney is a talented actor and funny in so many ways! Very likable cast and great humor.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sun April 18th, 2010, 4:08 pm

My local PBS station was rerunning Sita Sings the Blues a terrifically funny film about modern life and the Ramayana. Five stars all the way. And I am still working my way through the series, Life on Mars.
Last edited by Telynor on Sun April 18th, 2010, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Mon April 19th, 2010, 8:52 pm

Saw "An Education" with an astonishing, Academy-award nominated performance by Carey Mulligan.

And of course I started watching Season 4 of The Tudors. It's just as silly eye-candy as ever, but I have to admit, I am looking forward to Joley Richardson as Kate Parr.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Postby Jemidar » Tue April 20th, 2010, 8:02 pm

"cw gortner" wrote:And of course I started watching Season 4 of The Tudors. It's just as silly eye-candy as ever, but I have to admit, I am looking forward to Joley Richardson as Kate Parr.

I'm also looking forward to Joley Richardson as Kate, but it will probably be quite a while before it is available here :( .
Jenny
[SIZE=2]
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
[/SIZE]
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Currently Reading:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”