Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Sat April 3rd, 2010, 3:18 pm

New Moon. Deeply silly. Like watching an extended teen hissy fit. :(
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Postby Ken » Sat April 3rd, 2010, 5:14 pm

'Spartacus!'

Why is it that the last scene where Jean Simmons holds up their son to Spartacus who is being crucified and says, 'Spartacus. This is your son. He is free! He is free! Oh, please die Spartacus. Oh! Please die my darling!' Gets me every time? - Rhetorical!!!!! :o

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sun April 4th, 2010, 2:27 pm

Watched In Bruges last night. Whew, what a ride. Not for the sensitive or squeamish, as it is very violent. But very well done.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Sun April 4th, 2010, 10:00 pm

"Telynor" wrote:Watched In Bruges last night. Whew, what a ride. Not for the sensitive or squeamish, as it is very violent. But very well done.

Love that movie. "They're filming midgets!" :D

Watched The Box with Cameron Diaz, directed by the bloke who did Donnie Darko. Like an extended Twilight Zone episode but no the worse for that.
listen:there's a hell

of a good universe next door;let's go

ee cummings

ejays17
Reader

Postby ejays17 » Mon April 5th, 2010, 11:23 am

Clash of the Titans -loads of fun if not expecting a lot (the only thing i was expecting was pretty boys in not-a-lot, which I did get :D )

Liam Neeson (Zeus) wasn't much - but he did this just after Natasha died, so probably reasonable, & Ralph Feinnes (Hades) seemed to be channelling Voldemort from the Harry Potter movies.

Io (Gemma Arterton) was the best of the limited female cast.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Mon April 5th, 2010, 12:59 pm

Curmdgeon time:

Saw the Robert Downey version of Sherlock Holmes. Unrecommended. It seemed he was doing a Hugh Laurie voice from HOUSE imitation -- much of his dialogue swallowed, ruined the film for me. Jude Law's Watson was better. James Bond stunts -- still prefer cerebral Rathbone and Jeremy Brett as Holmes.

Wish they would make films either in black and white or real technicolor instead of the tones they are so fond of these days.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Mon April 5th, 2010, 1:32 pm

"Telynor" wrote:Watched In Bruges last night. Whew, what a ride. Not for the sensitive or squeamish, as it is very violent. But very well done.

I was surprised by this movie but ultimately liked it. It certainly made me want to go to Bruges even more than I have before. And it was fun watching Peter Dinklage from Death at a Funeral again (he is also going to be in the HBO series of Song of Ice and Fire, as Tyrion)
Last edited by Ash on Mon April 5th, 2010, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuck
Bibliophile

New SH film

Postby chuck » Mon April 5th, 2010, 3:56 pm

"donroc" wrote:Curmdgeon time:

Saw the Robert Downey version of Sherlock Holmes. Unrecommended. It seemed he was doing a Hugh Laurie voice from HOUSE imitation -- much of his dialogue swallowed, ruined the film for me. Jude Law's Watson was better. James Bond stunts -- still prefer cerebral Rathbone and Jeremy Brett as Holmes.

Wish they would make films either in black and white or real technicolor instead of the tones they are so fond of these days.

Totally agree with your comments.....Never forget seeing "Captain Blood" in glorious black and white(Silver Screen) and seeing the 1938 version of "Robin Hood"....in magical Technicolor...Green was very green etc.....I'm still stuck in the 30's 40's and 50's when it comes to films....I admit most of my memories the those great films were were watching them during the Saturday Afternoon matinees....

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Mon April 5th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Can't improve on the color of the Korda films THE FOUR FEATHERS and THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Thu April 8th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Finished up watching the first season of Breaking Bad. A very different sort of series with protagonists who are anti-heroes. Great scenery of New Mexico for the setting. Next up, I will certainly need something lighter so it will be Julie and Julia.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”