Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon March 15th, 2010, 11:17 pm

Firefly which we absolutely LOVED, and 21 which was also good.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Survivors by Kate Furnivall & The Corset by Laura Purcell (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Wed March 17th, 2010, 6:12 pm

I watched The Young Victoria last night on Sky Movies. I thought it was very good and it did bring a few tears to my eyes! :o
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Wed March 17th, 2010, 6:56 pm

A couple of our recent rentals have included District 9 (bizarre, but good, probably a career catapult for Sharlto Copley) and the 1970s cult SF film, Zardoz, directed by John Boorman with Sean Connery running around in something akin to a loin cloth for most of the film. Also starred a young and very skinny Charlotte Rampling.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Postby parthianbow » Wed March 17th, 2010, 7:53 pm

After many years of wanting to, I finally saw All Quiet On The Western Front (1930). What a war film it is. With none of the modern CGI, blood and gore, it still manages to convey thoroughly the horror of war. Even the grating American accents of the German soldiers did not really matter. Five stars.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Wed March 17th, 2010, 8:49 pm

"Ludmilla" wrote:A couple of our recent rentals have included District 9 (bizarre, but good, probably a career catapult for Sharlto Copley) and the 1970s cult SF film, Zardoz, directed by John Boorman with Sean Connery running around in something akin to a loin cloth for most of the film. Also starred a young and very skinny Charlotte Rampling.

That's quite a double bill :eek: :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Mello
Reader

Postby Mello » Wed March 17th, 2010, 11:06 pm

Saw Marley and Me a couple of nights ago. I wish someone had warned me of the storyline. We have an old Lab in her twilight years so naturally I cried my eyes out at the end and couldn’t stop for ages after. I’ve been cuddling the dog ever since…..

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Survivors by Kate Furnivall & The Corset by Laura Purcell (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Thu March 18th, 2010, 9:23 am

Oh, Marley & Me is so sad! I admit to crying, too. I have the book but can't bring myself to read it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu March 18th, 2010, 2:26 pm

I've sort of skim-read Marley but don't think I could read the whole thing, I don't want to see the film either; Sky has just started showing it over here.

Mello, I can sympathise - we had a lab who went on til she was 17 - hope your dog has many more happy years yet.
Currently reading "Heavenfield" by L J Ross & "Lost for Words" by Stephanie Butland

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri March 19th, 2010, 4:59 pm

I loved the first Boondock Saints so looked forward to the second, Boondock Saints: All Saints Day....what a horrible waste of two hours of my night when I could have been reading or book browsing or playing with my girls. What were they thinking?!? they took a great movie and a great possible sequel and ruined it.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Sat March 20th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Shutter Island. I really don't get what all the fuss is about - can't believe this movie is already in the imdb top 250! Yes, it was a fun slab of 1950's gothic but predictable as hell and about as profound as a McDonald's commercial. Better watch Jacob's Ladder if you want a hallucinotary-flashbacky thriller with a twist. And is Scorsese trying to outdo Tarantino now with all the grandiose OTT-ness and movie in-jokes? A biiiig letdown. :(
listen:there's a hell

of a good universe next door;let's go

ee cummings

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”