Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Postby Jemidar » Sat March 6th, 2010, 9:03 am

"nona" wrote:watched The Duchess since I could not sleep. What an interesting story, I must read Georgiana by Foreman so I can get more details on her life and so forth.

Loved this book! It is definitely worth the read and I found it totally engrossing. The detail is wonderful :) .

I haven't yet seen the movie (although I have it here ready to) and I'm a bit worried that I've done it the wrong way round because the universal opinion seems to be that the book is much, much better than the movie.
Jenny
[SIZE=2]
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
[/SIZE]
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Currently Reading:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Postby Jemidar » Sat March 6th, 2010, 7:55 pm

"Chatterbox" wrote:May go to a movie tomorrow... Dithering between mindless fluff (Meryl Streep & Alec Baldwin) and Lovely Bones. Waiting for me on DVD when the Olympics are over: Coco Avant Chanel; Inglorious Basterds (highly recommended by an astute friend of mine).

Yes, I loved Inglorious Basterds but be warned it's not for the feint hearted! If you can get past some of the gore and the sound effects that go with it, it's a great movie. Chrisopher Waltz really steals the show (love him!) but Brad Pitt is also pretty good with his OTT Southern drawl.

My son actually insisted that I see it (he's really into film & film making) and he was right. Highly recommended :) .
Jenny
[SIZE=2]
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
[/SIZE]
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Currently Reading:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

Leslie
Scribbler

Postby Leslie » Sun March 7th, 2010, 4:52 am

"parthianbow" wrote:Hi SM - I don't know about the States, but I got a list of codes to decode hundreds of DVD players so that they played DVDs from any region on eBay (for £1!). You might be able to do so on eBay in the States... :confused:

You can play them on your computer. I think the computer lets you change regions up to 5 times before locking it for sure, so if you have some movies to watch from other regions, you can and then switch back to North America.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Heavenfield by L J Ross & Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu March 11th, 2010, 12:36 pm

Went to see Lovely Bones last night, it wasn't bad but I have to agree with most of the reviewers that the CGI/Heaven scenes were overdone, although the effects were good (esp. the ships in bottles) it was OTT and not very subtle! Also didn't think the mother was very believable, at best she was rather insipid and as she disappears for half the film she seemed to be almost superfluous to the plot. Haven't read the book so can't compare the two, but general opinion seems to be - like the book, don't like the film!
Currently reading "Heavenfield" by L J Ross & "Lost for Words" by Stephanie Butland

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Thu March 11th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Curious Case of Benjamin Button, interesting and odd to watch the age decrease as he got older. Anyhow very good movie and I'm not a Pitt fan so thats says something.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Survivors by Kate Furnivall & The Corset by Laura Purcell (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sun March 14th, 2010, 10:00 am

I went to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D yesterday. I really enjoyed it and thought Johnny Depp was brilliant as the Hatter, although I did see signs of Capt Jack Sparrow! :D I thought it was very well done and well cast. There couldn't be a better person than Matt Lucas for the Tweedles! I recognised a few voices, too.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sun March 14th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Watched Brides of Christ about the 1960s and Vatican II reform. I thought it ws good, but the problem is blockbuster sent me disk one ONLY. I can't get disk two and now I cna't remember what happens in the series. Lame.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon March 15th, 2010, 1:54 am

"2012", man the director wasn't kidding when he said that because this was his last disaster movie that he was throwing everything in.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Mon March 15th, 2010, 2:54 am

She's out of my League....funny! but not for young ones at all. I didn't want to see it but it was hubby's choice this time so went and laughed the whole movie.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Mon March 15th, 2010, 3:07 am

Last night I saw Up in the Air with George Clooney, which I liked far better than I expected.

I also saw The September Issue, a documentary about the production of Vogue's famous September issue, featuring a too-thin Anna Wintour (she never seems to eat, just drinks galleons of coffee). Her assistant editor, the stylist and former model Grace, steals the show, in my opinion. If you're into high fashion, this is right up there with Valentino: The Last Emperor.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”