Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Thu February 11th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Darker and more depressing than Desperado. Got to love Johnny Depp though. He gets some really odd roles. Might get the soundtrack. Salma Hayek sings the song running under the end credits.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Sat February 13th, 2010, 8:19 pm

Watched a Wilkie Collins 1996 BBC film adaption of "The Moonstone".starring Greg Wise, Keeley Hawes and Peter Vaughn...plus a cast of excellent actors....Plot is a bit incredible....WTS I really enjoyed the acting, scenery, sets, costumes, lighting... the whole production was terrific.....Peter Vaughn as The Butler, Gabriel Betteredge was brilliant and he stole every scene he was in....He is one of my all time favorite actors....never forget him as Uncle Alfie in the hilarious film "Death at a Funeral".....BTW I also have to applaud Anthony Sher as Sergeant Cuff, his portrayal as the clever, witty, and very eccentric detective....Sher and Vaughn scenes were so interesting and charming....BBC would be smart to create a Mystery series starring Sergeant Cuff......
Last edited by chuck on Sat February 13th, 2010, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Mon February 15th, 2010, 12:49 am

Just saw The Wolfman with Benicio del Toro, Anthony Hopkins and Emily Blunt. Now, it might just be me - as a boy, I thrilled to, and was totally freaked out by, the wolf man - but I really enjoyed this. Reviews have been rather 'meh'; and yes, it's gory at moments, but I also found it quite riveting and at times even tragic. Then again, throw in a foggy moor, a crumbling English manor, and Emily Blunt in Victorian velvets, and you've got me. :p
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun February 21st, 2010, 3:46 am

My husband dragged me to see Valentines Day, and I am not sure where the critics are getting their rants from. Yes, its predictable, yes, there are some cliches. But I thought it sweet, and unpredictable moments were there. Plus it had a few killer scenes, like when the girlfriend finds out that her boyfriend is married. Its certainly much much better than Love Actually, with which many compared it to (and I didn't like) So if you like a little romance and fun, see it. And stay for the credits.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Sycamore Gap by L J Ross & The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sun February 21st, 2010, 8:49 pm

I hated Love Actually.

Has anyone seen Lovely Bones yet? Just came out here and has had terrible, no-star reviews, oh well.
Currently reading "Sycamore Gap" by L J Ross & "The Furthest Station" by Ben Aaronovitch

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Sun February 21st, 2010, 11:12 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Has anyone seen Lovely Bones yet? Just came out here and has had terrible, no-star reviews, oh well.

Yes. It starts well, then plunges rapidly downhill. Total CGI overkill. Shame, cos there were some good performances, but it totally lost the plot.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

:Sarita:
Reader

Postby :Sarita: » Mon February 22nd, 2010, 12:29 am

Sherlock Holmes

It was good, I wont deny I enjoyed it! :p Just as long as you separate it from the novels, you'll be fine! If you don't, you'll be a bit disappointed :rolleyes:
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

[Albert Camus]

MyTumblr
MyTwitter

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Mon February 22nd, 2010, 12:51 am

I wouldn't read the book, let alone see the movie (Lovely Bones).

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Sycamore Gap by L J Ross & The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon February 22nd, 2010, 12:30 pm

"Leo62" wrote:Yes. It starts well, then plunges rapidly downhill. Total CGI overkill. Shame, cos there were some good performances, but it totally lost the plot.

Yep that's pretty much what the reviews said. :(
Currently reading "Sycamore Gap" by L J Ross & "The Furthest Station" by Ben Aaronovitch

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Mon February 22nd, 2010, 10:59 pm

"sarasarita!" wrote:Sherlock Holmes

It was good, I wont deny I enjoyed it! :p Just as long as you separate it from the novels, you'll be fine! If you don't, you'll be a bit disappointed :rolleyes:

I really loved this movie, much to my surprise. :D Mind you, I'll watch RDJ in pretty much anything...

Saw Creation this afternoon, with Paul Bettany as Charles Darwin. Predictable and a bit of a slow starter but redeemed by committed performances and by not being too Great-Man-ish.

Oh, yes, and how could I forget? Saw Paranormal Activity too. Very creepy. The sort of scary movie I like - where nasty things are suggested rather than shoved in your face.
Last edited by Leo62 on Mon February 22nd, 2010, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
listen:there's a hell

of a good universe next door;let's go

ee cummings

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”