Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Mon February 1st, 2010, 6:00 pm

Watched an oldie but goodie this weekend, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, with Rex Harrison and Gene Tierney. Still holds up after all these years (hadn't seen it since I was a little girl).

The kids watched Aliens in the Attic and enjoyed it.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Tue February 2nd, 2010, 2:11 am

Watched Tarentino's Inglorious Basterds yesterday. Needs a more than willing suspension of disbelief for History buffs. Entertaining for the most part. Pitt's Tennesse accent is a hoot, and Waltz chews the scenery well as the heavy.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Tue February 2nd, 2010, 3:10 am

At First Sight, first time I saw it ad what a good movie even if it isn't a histrical one.

Sharz
Reader

Postby Sharz » Tue February 2nd, 2010, 4:36 pm

I'm on a classics kick, hunting up old movies I've never seen. Sunday evening we watched "The Quiet Man" with Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne. I liked it. Nowhere near a great movie, but a nice one. So delightfully politically incorrect. Loved O'Hara.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 5:20 pm

Last night I watched the first episode of BBC's "Bonekickers"....Ye Gads....What a bunch of very bad Archaeological Goo.....Ridiculous Templar History....i.e. a couple of bad guys walking around in Bath UK brandishing Medieval swords...Huh?.....I'm not a expert in Archiology but.....WTS...they find a coin...then a bit of very shallow trenching...they find sword hilts, bits of armour, later bones of Templar knights and a piece of cedar wood dated to the time of Christ .....Instant gratification in Archaeology.....Please......I was hoping for a decent series.....Finally the characters and their dialogue was unbelievable....
Last edited by chuck on Wed February 3rd, 2010, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 6:25 pm

lol, hopefully it'll get better or something else will catch your interest.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 7:07 pm

Re: "Bonekickers"....Well I now know what to expect and I'll try lighten up on the series...I suspect If my wife and I go to see "Avatar" I will need to get pass the OTT hype and the "Dances With Wolves" like script.....I think the Academy needs to come up with a another bracket for this type of new film genre...... How do the Nominated Actors/films compete with Blue People/SE/Animation?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George & Force of Nature by Jane Harper
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 7:52 pm

Oh my, don't remind me about Bonekickers! Watched the first ep and agree it was dreadful, didn't even fall into the-so-bad-it's-quite-good-in- an-amusing-way category. I didn't watch the rest of it but it wasn't recommissioned so I think it was a turkey all round!
Currently reading "A Suitable Vengeance" by Elizabeth George and "Force of Nature" by Jane Harper

chuck
Bibliophile

Touche'

Postby chuck » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 9:08 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Oh my, don't remind me about Bonekickers! Watched the first ep and agree it was dreadful, didn't even fall into the-so-bad-it's-quite-good-in- an-amusing-way category. I didn't watch the rest of it but it wasn't recommissioned so I think it was a turkey all round!

Thank you for your validation......I won't waste my time.....

4ever Queen
Reader

Postby 4ever Queen » Thu February 4th, 2010, 1:46 am

Over the week I have watched He's Not That Into You, The Invention of Lying (comical and sad at the same time) and Inglorious Bastards (this one was too violent IMO). :p :p
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”