Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed January 20th, 2010, 8:13 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]Public Enemies with Johnny Depp and Christian Bale. Excellent, and dark; evokes the bygone world of the "glamour gangster" very well. :cool: [/quote]

I enjoyed that one. Mind you, it does have Johnny Depp in it........... :o
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu January 21st, 2010, 12:28 pm

Went to see Up in the Air last night, quite good, different to the usual film and thank goodness not a standard chick-flick, although of course it goes without saying that George looks divine....
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu January 21st, 2010, 7:22 pm

Revisited a couple of old friends today, first of all "Mamma Mia", good fun but some of it is a bit cringeworthy, and I'd like to cast the young couple adrift; then "The Golden Compass" - can't remember much about the books but it's a pretty good job of filming something which was probably pretty much unfilmable; they did the daemons and the fantasy bits very well, but the storyline is way confusing, still it's a shame there probably won't be any sequels.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu January 21st, 2010, 7:31 pm

watched Gamer last night, I usually like Gerard Butler films however this sucked to put it plain and simple. I wasted $4.99 for an hour and a half of crap, yes crap. He's a killer sentenced to life in the federal prison system which is profiting by 'making' them players of a real life Slayer game, controled by gamers. Anyhow all this chaos and sex and so forth happen and they live happily ever after.

If you thought you might want to see this take a second and ask yourself if your really think it is a good way to spend your money.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon January 25th, 2010, 1:59 am

Finally got around to watching The Duchess last night. Rather liked the movie. (Now I just need to finish the book.)

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon January 25th, 2010, 4:51 am

I watched the limetime movie The Pregnacy Pact tonight. What would a group of 15/16 year old girls want to do such a thing? It was based on the true story of the girls from the New England area that made a pact to all get pregnant at the same time and so forth. I don't understand it, I wonder how I or my husband would react it we were in the parents shoes, sad for the girls and their families.

I'm also watch the re-runs of the first season of The Tudors, interestingly I still don't think I'm drawn in as i said before. Some of the clothes and so forth are odd to me.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon January 25th, 2010, 6:18 am

Mel Gibson's "Hamlet".

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon January 25th, 2010, 12:13 pm

He was amazingly good in that role - I haven't liked him in anything since.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon January 25th, 2010, 3:04 pm

Saw Up in the Air on Saturday. Though well acted and interestingly character-driven, was a bit underwhelmed by it and not quite sure that it deserves all the acclaim. Worth seeing, but not outstanding.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon January 25th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Watched the 1948 version of Wilkie Collins's "The Women in White"....Gig Young, Eleanor Powell, Alexis Smith, and Sidney Greenstreet....and a couple of characters that stole a number of scenes....All popular American actors.....why didn't they use any UK actors?...Tried very hard to stay in 1860's time frame....But the 20th Century kept getting in the way of the questionable multiple plots and a bit contrived motives....WTS... I still enjoyed the interpretation.... in beautiful Black and White... good looking costumes and sets.....Collins wrote "The White Women/The Moonstone" both thought to be the first "Detective Stories" with a touch of Gothic feel....I might give them a read...heard there a bit tedious?.....

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”