Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Sun January 17th, 2010, 8:56 pm

I saw Young Victoria last night, at last. The costumes were stunning, and the actors certainly looked the part, particularly Rupert Friend as Albert. I enjoyed it.

I was familiar enough with the history to know, generally speaking, which parts were true and which were embellished/completely made up, but at the same time I got the impression that scenes which could have clarified some things (like the changes in government) may have been cut from the film. My husband wasn't sure exactly which European matters Leopold was supposed to be influencing Prince Albert to carry out. I also didn't realize until later that the woman who serves as a confidante/advisor to Victoria in several scenes was Queen Adelaide. Her presence wasn't strong enough early on for me to remember her, and if she was mentioned by name, I didn't catch it!

Another film I'm currently watching is the Hallmark Hall of Fame presentation of Thomas Hardy's The Return of the Native, which I read several weeks ago. It's apparently the only film version ever made of it. It's not available on Netflix so I'd resigned myself to buying it if I wanted to see it that badly, but this afternoon while searching through old VHS tapes I found I'd apparently recorded a copy - back when it aired in 1994. I'd never watched it so am seeing it now. Catherine Zeta Jones is the perfect Eustacia, although I hadn't pictured Thomasin as quite that annoying (her high-pitched voice grated). So there was some value to my having been a packrat back then - I'd recorded many period pieces but never got around to watching some of them.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Sycamore Gap by L J Ross & The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sun January 17th, 2010, 8:58 pm

I vaguely remember that version of Return of the Native...it was well made and acted but did deviate from the book a fair bit eg Clem's mother's death is different to the book; but it's a long time since I've read/seen it so can't remember anything else!
Currently reading "Sycamore Gap" by L J Ross & "The Furthest Station" by Ben Aaronovitch

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Sun January 17th, 2010, 9:52 pm

Yes, I'd read on the IMDB site that there were differences between the book and movie, so I won't be surprised. I'm about 20 minutes in (I'm watching it in stages, during my daily stint on the Nordictrack) and so far it's sticking pretty close - although I'm guessing Clym will show up a lot earlier in the movie than he did in the book.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon January 18th, 2010, 4:17 pm

I watched Doubt. I'm not sure I liked it.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Postby parthianbow » Mon January 18th, 2010, 4:24 pm

"Divia" wrote:I watched Doubt. I'm not sure I liked it.

Ditto! I thought Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman both turned in outstanding performances, though.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Postby parthianbow » Mon January 18th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Also watched, on TV, A Life Less Ordinary, with a very young Ewan McGregor, and a very stunning Cameron Diaz. I don't know how I missed it before, either in the cinema, or on TV (it came out in 1997). Very good though, esp. the scheming angel played by Holly Hunter.
Ben Kane

Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.

Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net

Twitter: @benkaneauthor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed January 20th, 2010, 1:04 am

"parthianbow" wrote:Ditto! I thought Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman both turned in outstanding performances, though.

Doubt has such heavy dramatic themes, I'm not sure anyone could "enjoy" watching it. I'll see it for the performances, but not until things are going better. I'm sticking to mostly comedies for a while.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed January 20th, 2010, 1:05 am

Oh, and I borrowed Up from my sister. Love it!

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Wed January 20th, 2010, 4:31 am

Public Enemies with Johnny Depp and Christian Bale. Excellent, and dark; evokes the bygone world of the "glamour gangster" very well. :cool:
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

CrimsonPetal
Reader

Postby CrimsonPetal » Wed January 20th, 2010, 4:40 am

The most recent film I watched was Bright Star. Gorgeous film.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”