Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sat January 16th, 2010, 11:27 am

I just endured watching The Tooth Fairy. Apparently it was really funny. The kids liked it. I missed the funny bits. :cool:
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Sat January 16th, 2010, 2:28 pm

My kids want to see The Tooth Fairy. I have a feeling that will be my reaction. I don't think it opens here until later in the week, though.

We watched Matilda at home last week. My youngest loved it, has watched it several times now and quotes lines from the film. My oldest was inspired to check the book out of her school library and read it this week -- all in all, a good choice, I think (and this after complaining that the library books for her school's AR program are all boring).
Last edited by Ludmilla on Sat January 16th, 2010, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George & Force of Nature by Jane Harper
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sat January 16th, 2010, 4:29 pm

"nona" wrote:saw the Uninvited, creepy thiller that was a 'I never saw that coming!' kind of movie. Was very original I thought and since I love a good thiller/horror flick I greatly enjoyed the story. Had me wondering but did not let me down.

Oh yes, reckon this ranks alongside The Innocents (ie Turn of the Screw) for sheer creepiness.
Currently reading "A Suitable Vengeance" by Elizabeth George and "Force of Nature" by Jane Harper

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Monsoon Summer by Julia Gregson & Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager(Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sat January 16th, 2010, 5:29 pm

I watched The Reader last night, which I enjoyed once I got into it. I thought it was quite sad and also quite harrowing.

I've been to see Avatar today, which is brilliant. Very clever and very colourful - I thought I was in an aquarium!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun January 17th, 2010, 1:18 am

watched the Night at the Museum #2 withthe kids, really funny and kids enjoyed. Husband and I watched Rev. Road with Kate and Leo in it, not what I expected but Ithought it was really good for the dramatic story, wonder if the book is just as good?

Spears II
Scribbler

Postby Spears II » Sun January 17th, 2010, 4:42 am

Would you believe my wife had never seen Forest Gump. I could not believe it myself. I don't think it is the best thing since sliced bread but I had thought everyone watched it when first came out..... now if I could only get her to read a book I suggest. :)

David Spears
http://www.iservenovel.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sun January 17th, 2010, 10:26 am

I just watched Up! So interesting to watch two Disney films in one weekend and have such different experiences.

Up was a joy to watch.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun January 17th, 2010, 1:54 pm

i'm thinking about order 9 for the girls and I to watch, alot of people say it's a great movie for kids and adults alike. We'll have to seee how the day goes.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun January 17th, 2010, 3:48 pm

"diamondlil" wrote:I just endured watching The Tooth Fairy. Apparently it was really funny.

ROTFL! I've felt that way before at some movies. The kid movies that I love the best are the ones that give a wink now and again to the adults in the audience. Thinking Shrek and Toy Story.

Then there are movies that are marketed to kids that are so not for kids. Wall-E was so filled with adult cultural references that it was hard not to smile even tho the subject was so serious. But most of the little kids I saw at the theatre were either asleep or running around bored. Hard to find that happy medium.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun January 17th, 2010, 8:31 pm

Jay dragged me to see Avatar. The 3-D previews for upcoming movies were so frenetic, I was overwhelmed by the time the feature started.

Nevertheless, the visuals were stunning. Overall, the plot could have used a few more non-frantic moments. Would have been nicer if the villains were not so cardboard-cutout, too. A standard, tried-and-true sci-fi action story dressed up in very fancy special effects.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”