Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Thu January 14th, 2010, 12:13 am

I'm going to have to actually read the book now to see if some of those very touching bits were in the story and just didn't make it into the other film versions.

They are. I am partial to that one, tho the Patrick Stewart one is good (but then I could listen to him read from the phone book and be happy). Another fun version is Blackadders!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Thu January 14th, 2010, 1:24 am

"Leo62" wrote:Have you seen the early 70's version with (I think) George C Scott? Scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid. The late 90's Patrick Stewart version is also worth a look.

Yes, I've seen them both. The George C. Scott was in 1985. Here's the complete list of the one's I've seen:

1938 starring Reginald Owen
1951 starring Alistair Sim
1984 starring George C. Scott
1999 starring Patrick Stewart
The Muppets Christmas Carol starring Michael Caine
NBC's A Christmas Carol (musical) starring Kelsey Grammar

Have not seen: Disney's 2009 or the Blackadder version. Come to think of it wasn't there a Bill Murray movie called Scrooged?

I'm a weird "watch every version" nut when it comes to literary classics. :D

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu January 14th, 2010, 12:17 pm

there's also a rather bizarre musical version with Albert Finney as Scrooge, although the effects were quite scary for the time - late 80s? I love The Muppet Christmas Carol, it's so funny at times, MC is brilliant and it really keeps the "spirit" too.

Just watched Girl with a Pearl Earring again, lovely film but a bit slow, still Mr Firth smoulders beautifully!
Currently reading "The Body in the Ice" by A J Mackenzie & "A Death in the Dales" by Julia Chapman

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Thu January 14th, 2010, 12:24 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:there's also a rather bizarre musical version with Albert Finney as Scrooge, although the effects were quite scary for the time - late 80s?

That's the one I'm thinking of, not the George C Scott version! It was weird and it was 1970. I was 8 and it scared me but today it's probably laughable...

Scrooged with Bill Murray is well worth a look, LoveHistory, as is Blackadder's Christmas Carol.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Thu January 14th, 2010, 12:48 pm

watched an HBO show Big Love, well actually three hours of it and gorged myself on grasshoppers last night, I've never read or watched anything on the Polgimist or their religion. The show is rather funny at times and interesting for a person that is uneducated about their lives. Not sure how those wives do it, one stays home with all the childern while another runs errands and another wife goes to work and they all live under one roof as friends and family, how they don't compete for hubby's attention or get jealous I don't know, I sure would.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Thu January 14th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Just been on Netflix and added Scrooge 1970 and Scrooged. Will probably be a while before I get them though as my family is all "Christmas Caroled-out."

Was the Black Adder version part of the show or was it released as a feature film? Netflix as Seasons 3 & 4.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu January 14th, 2010, 6:53 pm

There's also one with Vanassa Williams" "A Diva's Christmas Carol" and Susan Lucci: "Ebbie".

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Fri January 15th, 2010, 12:00 am

"LoveHistory" wrote:Was the Black Adder version part of the show or was it released as a feature film? Netflix as Seasons 3 & 4.

I think it was a Christmas Special - not part of any of the series anyway. Amazon UK have it as a separate DVD if that's any help. :)
listen:there's a hell

of a good universe next door;let's go

ee cummings

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri January 15th, 2010, 9:33 pm

saw the Uninvited, creepy thiller that was a 'I never saw that coming!' kind of movie. Was very original I thought and since I love a good thiller/horror flick I greatly enjoyed the story. Had me wondering but did not let me down.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat January 16th, 2010, 7:26 am

Myself, daughter and DIL ditched the hubbys and went to see Young Victoria. Luscious costumes, decent plot. Romanticized, but not to the point of unbelief. Enjoyed it.
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
my passions: fair trade, ending slavery, and justice.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
User signature picture

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”