Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Tue December 29th, 2009, 6:31 pm

"cw gortner" wrote: I left the movie theatre in awe of what I'd seen but not moved

I could not have put it better, in awe but no moved. I will say we will probably buy it when it comes out on DVD, my husband like those action packed special effect movies.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue December 29th, 2009, 7:16 pm

I just read that "Nine" isn't doing well, but it looks so good! It won't be coming to the little island theatre any time soon, so I'll have to be patient (sigh!) to see it.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

gyrehead
Reader

Postby gyrehead » Wed December 30th, 2009, 3:11 am

"cw gortner" wrote:I also saw Avatar in digital 3D this weekend; after all the hoopla, I was definitely impressed by the visuals - there are several Wow!! moments - but for me it lacked soul. I left the movie theatre in awe of what I'd seen but not moved - or at least not the way I was moved by Fergie singing "Be Italian" in Nine :)

For me it was not so much that it lacked soul but that the story relied on some many over-used tropes. It really could have been so much more than it was.

That said, for it's length, I was never bored and never once thought about what time it was until the big climax starts to build and I was actually a bit disappointed it was coming to an end. I also was really impressed with Sam Worthington. What he was able to do with acting in CGI and in "reality" was a quiet and subtle performance I found impressive.

Significantly underwhelmed by Sherlock Holmes. A bit too gimmicky for me and the smug pat-itself-on-the-back tone bled through for me. I suspect it will win awards and filthy lucre beyond all expectations. Sadly I also think it will regurgitate even more classic stories into CGI smarmy action driven swill. Rachel McAdams though practically glows in every scene. Whatever they used to film her should be smear on the lens of anything Barbara Walters pops up on instead of that blurry vaselined bit she has going that always has me wondering what the cleaning lady used on my screen.

It's Complicated also fell a little flat for me. Was relieved at the ending. Decent comedy but not laugh out loud for me. Alec Baldwin though has never charmed me beyond his Schweaty Balls bit on classic SNL so that played a big role probably in how invested I was. Overall though I thought the script was a bit weaker than it should have been with the likes of Streep and Martin. Then again I can't help but suspect that too many times scripts tend to be conversely weaker the bigger the names on the marquee.

I finally caught the Blindside as well. Nice toasty warm-hearted movie. The real life aspect also was strong.

I liked Invictus as a whole but I thought the casting actually did not work for me. This was the type of movie that might have been better served by not having the big names in it. It felt like a "this is an important award-worthy movie" trying to pretend to be a sleeper indie that ends up capturing a huge word-of-mouth following. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not.

And that was my movie going experience over the holidays.

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Postby robinbird79 » Wed December 30th, 2009, 3:29 am

Only thing I've seen recently is the 24 hour "A Christmas Story" marathon! Still love it though...and laugh every time.

Hoping to get to see Young Victoria this weekend.
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Wed December 30th, 2009, 12:16 pm

I really enjoyed Sherlock Holmes in a leave-the-brain-at-home kinda way, but then I'm a sucker for RDJ in anything...

And if I see the trailer for Nine one more time I will choke on my popcorn - blah! If I want to Be Italian I'll watch La Dolce Vita thanks very much :p
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Thu December 31st, 2009, 3:01 am

I watched the first thre episodes of Tudors. That was cool. The rebellion was a little tedious. I'm starting to like Jane even though I really dont like Jane.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Thu December 31st, 2009, 5:17 pm

The 1999 A Christmas Carol starring Patrick Stewart. Pretty good. A few very nice touches toward the end.

I'm on a Christmas movie kick. Two more version of A Christmas Carol to go...

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Sycamore Gap by L J Ross & The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu December 31st, 2009, 8:00 pm

"Divia" wrote:I watched the first thre episodes of Tudors. That was cool. The rebellion was a little tedious. I'm starting to like Jane even though I really dont like Jane.

I thought Jane's death scene was really quite moving, gorgeous music and a stunning overhead shot of her lying in state, and Henry seemed genuinely moved - corny I know but I liked it!
Currently reading "Sycamore Gap" by L J Ross & "The Furthest Station" by Ben Aaronovitch

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Thu December 31st, 2009, 8:57 pm

She died pretty quietly. One wouldnt even known she was dying. I always read that childbed fever was a lot more painful.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.

http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Thu December 31st, 2009, 9:05 pm

I watched Dean Spanely with Jeremy Northam, Peter O'Toole, Sam Neill and Bryan Brown. Interesting and quaint movie set in the early 1900s, and dealing with resurrection.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”