Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Sharz
Reader

Postby Sharz » Fri December 18th, 2009, 4:39 pm

The last movie I saw was an old classic, The Philadelphia Story with Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Jimmy Stewart. Absolutely delightful movie--very funny, fabulous dialogue. I don't know how I'd overlooked that movie until now. Highly, highly recommend it.

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Postby Anna Elliott » Fri December 18th, 2009, 8:14 pm

"Sharz" wrote:The last movie I saw was an old classic, The Philadelphia Story with Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Jimmy Stewart. Absolutely delightful movie--very funny, fabulous dialogue. I don't know how I'd overlooked that movie until now. Highly, highly recommend it.

That is one of my absolute favorites! My mom is a huge Katherine Hepburn fan, so I grew up watching all her movies. Holiday is also a great one.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]
Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)
[/COLOR]
User signature picture

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat December 19th, 2009, 2:02 am

Hailey (age 1) and her mother and I went to see Disney's new animated, 'the Princess and the Frog'. It was a test to see if she could sit through the plane flight on their upcoming vacation.

I really loved this disney!. Maybe it was Hailey jigging up and down to all the jazz numbers putting me in a good mood, but I think the disney screenwriters handled the story very well, considering it is set in a pre WWII New Orleans/Louisiana bayou setting from the black viewpoint. It doesn't put in anything blatantly 'would-not-happen' on the social side, nor was it in-your-face about prejudice, but still manages to convey the difficulties that the poor faced.

And I loved the message to kids: get off your rear, work hard, AND dream big dreams. And there's more to life than marrying a prince. I'm gonna buy this one for Hailey.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat December 19th, 2009, 2:22 am

"Sharz" wrote:The last movie I saw was an old classic, The Philadelphia Story with Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Jimmy Stewart. Absolutely delightful movie--very funny, fabulous dialogue. I don't know how I'd overlooked that movie until now. Highly, highly recommend it.

One of my favorite movies - but then, anything with Hepburn or Grant is usually wonderful. The two together make a perfect pair. And while I am not a big fan of Jimmy Stewart, I do like him in this one.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat December 19th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Death a a Funeral

This was hilarious. Especially the ending. Lately it takes a lot to get me laughing out loud and this ending had me howling.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Sat December 19th, 2009, 8:22 pm

May I suggest....."Bringing Up Baby"....Charming madcap comedy with CG & KH at their brilliant best......A classic hoot......

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat December 19th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Fortunately we saw Death at a Funeral at home, so we could freely roll on the floor laughing. What a hilarious movie! And because Hollywood has run out of ideas, they are remaking it.

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/03/08/tracy-jordan-and-martin-lawrence-join-death-at-a-funeral-remak/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon December 21st, 2009, 2:34 am

"History of the World: Part I", funny.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon December 21st, 2009, 2:38 am

"It's good to be the king."

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Mon December 21st, 2009, 12:53 pm

David came back from seeing Avatar yesterday just glowing about it. So we are going to see it today. He tells me the 3 hours will just fly by. We shall see (fortunately there is a bookstore at the mall where the theatre is, so I have an escape if its not as good as he says!)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”