Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Fri October 30th, 2009, 6:35 pm

"Mello" wrote:Watched “Easy Virtue” a couple of days ago - my, Jessica Biel is quite a stunner and a competent actress too, I thought.

I really liked this movie! Very lively, cheeky update of the whole Noel Coward thing. I thought Biel was very impressive - she was a bit plank-like in the only other movie I've seen her in (that magician thing...)

"Mello" wrote:Also, saw the first half of the latest “Wuthering Heights” on tv last weekend. I have mentally labelled it the “tame version”. Hope the second half ramps up the insanity a bit :eek:

Was this the bad-hair Tom Hardy version? I thought it was a right old mess (the adaptation, not the hair).

EC2 wrote:Vera Drake - last night on TV. Superb film. I have it in my collection but it's gone awol, so this was a good chance to see it again.

Great film isn't it? I'm not really a fan of Mike Leigh, but he surpassed himself with this one. Did you have a nice cup of tea afterwards, dear? ;)

Saw Moon with Sam Rockwell the other day. Excellent brainy SF (though the plot was a dead rip-off of David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas).
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Sat October 31st, 2009, 3:58 pm

Watched the director's cut of Donnie Darko last night. Had only ever seen the theatrical version before. How's this for a coincidence? The pivotal date in the film is October 30th.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sat October 31st, 2009, 5:20 pm

Interview with the Vampire. It was on telly last night.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat October 31st, 2009, 6:16 pm

Bride Wars

It was so-so.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun November 1st, 2009, 2:30 am

I love scary movies so have watch lots this week. the 1968 version of Night of the Living Dead. Dracula. Scream, on my favorite list. The Messangers. All of the Michael Myers movies and my all time favorite of course Rocky Horror Picture Show, I watch it every year on Halloween, a tradition started years ago when I still lived at home my mom and I would veg out on halloween candy watching it.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sun November 1st, 2009, 2:35 am

"Ice Age 3: The Dawn of the Dinosaurs" cute movie.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Mello
Reader

Postby Mello » Sun November 1st, 2009, 11:59 pm

"Leo62" wrote:I really liked this movie! Very lively, cheeky update of the whole Noel Coward thing. I thought Biel was very impressive - she was a bit plank-like in the only other movie I've seen her in (that magician thing...)

Was this the bad-hair Tom Hardy version? I thought it was a right old mess (the adaptation, not the hair).
r? ;) .

Missed the second half last night, but I'm not too upset about it. As you said, it was a mess, including the hair :)

4ever Queen
Reader

Postby 4ever Queen » Fri November 6th, 2009, 5:33 am

over the weekend i watched Astroboy, cute movie.

Tonite i just went to watch Bright Star--beautiful theme, wardrobe, scenery!

Waiting on my coffee table--Duplicity and Patch Adams.
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri November 6th, 2009, 11:32 am

"Nefret" wrote:Interview with the Vampire. It was on telly last night.

This was on TV here the other night too, watched the first 10 mins or so and for some reason found it quite comical, and strangely dated. Think it has to do with TC in a blond wig.... :eek:
Currently reading "The Body in the Ice" by A J Mackenzie & "A Death in the Dales" by Julia Chapman

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat November 7th, 2009, 9:43 pm

we rented GI Joe, The Ugly Truth and Ice Age Dawn of the Dinos. Let you know how they are after we watch them, I'm crossin my fingers on the GI Joe it has mixed reviews. I love all of the Ice Age movies so this will be no different and well Butler in The Ugly Truth need I say more?

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”