Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

4ever Queen
Reader

Postby 4ever Queen » Mon October 19th, 2009, 6:50 pm

"Ash" wrote:Its excellent, esp if you know a little background. When I watched it, I knew about Henry VIII and Anne and the split with the Church, so I got most of it. Fantastic acting and production. It does however make More into a matyr - he certainly has a much darker side to him - but still well worth watching.

I agree with you Ash, that one must have some background on Henry VIII and Anne's "special matter" in order to find some depth to the story in the movie. I personally don't think it's a movie for everyone. I believe that if it weren't for the background I have on the Tudors it would have seem boring, cut-off :confused: or either find Henry's behavior somewhat stupid or cocky. So I do sympathize with those that might not find the movie to their like.

On another note, I was totally able to appreciate Paul Scofield's acting as Thomas More. And I do think that the movie's title (A Man for all Season's) complemented More's audacity, capacity, and intellectual to stand-up for his beliefs and principles. I do agree that as a human being he must have had a darker side to himself, but then, I think we all do :cool: . With all I have read about Thomas More, I'm inclining to see him as an intelligent and astute man as well as a martyr.

BTW--I still can't get rid-off the sickening feeling that Crommwell and Richard Rich made me feel with their despicable ways to bring More to trial. Sorry, these are only my own feelings :o

Happy readings! :)
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri October 23rd, 2009, 4:05 am

MFAS was first staged in London's Globe Theater in 1960, then it was later played on Broadway....As far as I know Paul Scofield played Thomas More's in both productions and then went on star in the film.....I saw the film and Scofield was brilliant, but I would have preferred to see the original play.....I'll watch again because we now have the pause button and take those needed intermission breaks...

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Fri October 23rd, 2009, 4:09 am

Watched The Devil Wears Prada last night. Was most amusing.
I think it was based on a book, but I forget. If there is one, I might have to go find it.
Last edited by Nefret on Fri October 23rd, 2009, 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri October 23rd, 2009, 12:18 pm

yes the Devil Wears Prada is based on a book, I have not read it but have heard great things about the book.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Fri October 23rd, 2009, 1:27 pm

With all I have read about Thomas More, I'm inclining to see him as an intelligent and astute man as well as a martyr.

More was a fanatic protestant hater, and tortured and killed many during his time as Chancellor. Thats not why Henry had him killed, but its certainly why historians and writers should look at him with a bit more nuance. But I agree, he was an intelligent man.

Oh Devil wears Prada was great fun. I was glad to see Streep being put into different roles than usual. Watching her in Prada, and Mama Mia, was a fun change of pace!
Last edited by Ash on Fri October 23rd, 2009, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Sat October 24th, 2009, 2:03 am

I saw "Sunshine Cleaning" yesterday with Amy Adams and Emily Blunt. It's produced and, I think, written by the same people who made "Little Miss Sunshine." I liked this one even better; both actresses turn in amazing performances, and the writing is spot-on. Well worth it.

I'm watching "Cheri" tonight with Michelle Pfieffer, whom I adore.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat October 24th, 2009, 12:26 pm

let me know what you think of Cheri I've seem a trailer on it and want to watch it but am slightly hesitant.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon October 26th, 2009, 3:07 am

Not really a movie but "Chess: The Concert". I love the musical, and have heard the original CD with Murray Head many times, so I was a bit dismayed that they not only changed words in the songs, but the order in which some of them appear and added new songs and cut parts out of others. Sigh :(

Josh Groban was very good as the Russian, Adam Pascal was also very good as the American (reminded me of Murray Head a few times), I wasn't so impressed with Idina Menzel as Florance.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Mon October 26th, 2009, 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

4ever Queen
Reader

Postby 4ever Queen » Tue October 27th, 2009, 1:27 am

Last nite i watched The Day of the Jackal (1973??). I loved it so much that i watched it twice. Someone mentioned here and so i got it. Thnx for the reference!
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Postby Ken » Tue October 27th, 2009, 5:57 pm

'Bridges of Madison County.' On TV for probably the fifth time!

It gets me every time I see Meryl Streep's children reading out her letter to them to be read after her death! Also, I find her discovery (re-awakening?) of her erotic side - lying in the bath just after Clint had showered there; coming into the kitchen all dressed up for the first time in ever, intensely erotic too!

Great film!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”