Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

xiaotien
Reader

Postby xiaotien » Sat October 25th, 2008, 7:47 pm

i went to see THE DUCHESS by myself.
i enjoyed it. i thought there were some
issues in the climax and ending, but overall,
entertaining.

surprised it was based on a book--i guess
i shouldn't be anymore?
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Sat October 25th, 2008, 8:39 pm

"Leyland" wrote:I also saw City of Ember over the past weekend. It was good, but seemed to be missing something, perhaps in the casting - I can't put my finger on it though. Too mechanical, not enough magical. Maybe I should read the book for more backstory.

I've been wondering how this one would turn out. I wasn't impressed with the trailer and Bill Murray seemed wrong for that role. I read the book a few years ago, and enjoyed it. Something about subterranean cities just captures the imagination, doesn't it?

We finally saw Iron Man, which was fun.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon October 27th, 2008, 2:05 am

Indy 4 on DVD.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Erika Mailman
Scribbler

Postby Erika Mailman » Mon October 27th, 2008, 2:38 am

Watched (most of) Queen Margot on DVD last night, about Catherine de Medici's daughter who married Henri de Navarre. It's 2.5 hours and French subtitled so I succumbed to sleep although I found it beautiful and riveting. This isn't my time period so I don't know how historically accurate it is. Does anyone else know?
The Witch's Trinity
Visit my website at www.erikamailman.com
I blog about witchcraft at www.erikamailman.blogspot.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sat November 1st, 2008, 9:55 am

I went to see Quantum of Solace yesterday. I enjoyed it. It's quite dark and and emotional sort of film. And Daniel Craig is very sexy! :D I wasn't too sure about what was going on but I never do with Bond films. LOL. The 'scenery' was lovely, though! ;) :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

MrsMorland
Reader

Postby MrsMorland » Sat November 1st, 2008, 7:41 pm

I watched the first episode of the Cazalets on DVD, it was pretty good. I know they are based on a series of books but I never read them.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sat November 1st, 2008, 7:56 pm

I have that series of books on my TBR pile, Mrs M.

I've just watched The Other Boleyn Girl on DVD. Well, it's not a patch on the book and thought it was quite flat. Henry just wasn't Henry to me at all.
Last edited by Vanessa on Sat November 1st, 2008, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat November 1st, 2008, 8:06 pm

"Erika Mailman" wrote:Watched (most of) Queen Margot on DVD last night, about Catherine de Medici's daughter who married Henri de Navarre. It's 2.5 hours and French subtitled so I succumbed to sleep although I found it beautiful and riveting. This isn't my time period so I don't know how historically accurate it is. Does anyone else know?

Queen Margot is very accurate. The film made it to Castlewood Guild's recommended list, and they don't do that unless the costumes and history are both superb.
I haven't yet watched it myself -- must borrow it from the daughter-unit and do so soon.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sat November 1st, 2008, 9:49 pm

the Trail to Hope Rose a nice little western movie with outlaws and miners on the hallmark channel.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Sun November 2nd, 2008, 1:09 am

This afternoon I watched The Wind That Shakes the Barley set in 1920 Ireland.

It is a bleak and brutal film about a doctor who observes atrocities committed by the Black and Tans and joins the rebels. He then becomes more radical when Ireland is divided over the issue of being a free nation or part of the British Dominion as well as loss of the northern six counties.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”