Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Starting a Blog

nona
Bibliophile

Starting a Blog

Post by nona » Sat November 15th, 2008, 9:21 pm

ok off subject but I noticed alot of people here have blogs, how did you guys get started just thinking I would be interested in starting my own.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat November 15th, 2008, 9:46 pm

I went to a conference and they were saying "its web 2.0" and its the latesting thing. To be honest it doesnt seem like a lot of teens use blogs, so I'm not sure who reads my blog...but apprently people do.

I thought it would be fun to make a blog to review young adult books. It's part of my job and I thought I would get some interaction. While I have a lot of lurkers I only have a few posters. However, I have gotten 3 free books in my first year (not too bad) and have had numerous authors leave comments.

what type of blog do you want to do?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat November 15th, 2008, 10:00 pm

I'ld like to center it around historical fiction books but thats the thing I don't know the ins and outs of it.

I've visited alot of peoples blogs including yours and they are all so nice, and I just thought with all the books I've read if I could collect all those reviews and share those then hey it would be great.

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Sun November 16th, 2008, 4:49 am

I started one a couple of months ago because I had nothing better to do at the time. :p I did mine through wordpress and it's really easy to set up, no technical know-how needed or anything of that sort.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun November 16th, 2008, 5:26 am

You should totally start one. I'm always interested in what people think of books and whats coming out etc.

if you have a gmail account you can create a blogger one. If not I think I can intvite you to gmail and then you can start one. They give you templates to pick from..its wicked easy.

Go for it! :)

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sun November 16th, 2008, 5:11 pm

I set mine up using Blogger, and as Divia says it's very easy. No technical know-how required at all. You just sign up, pick a template and start posting.

The things I'd say are:
-have an idea what you're going to post on it (I do mainly book reviews and history articles [usually related to research for my novels], one recipe a month because that proved surprisingly popular, plus anything else that happens to interest me);
- try to have some articles in stock so that you can keep posting reasonably regularly even when you're busy;
- don't underestimate the amount of time it takes!

It doesn't cost anything, so you could always try it for a bit and see how you get on.

Good luck!
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun November 16th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Thats a good point..make sure you update it regulary. Nothing worse than going to your fav blog that hasn't seen activity in two weeks. I try to update my weekly. I wont lie, sometimes its hard becuase I haven't read a book in a week so I have to either find a story like Carla said or pick a book that I read a year or so ago.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue November 18th, 2008, 4:15 pm

Nona, if you'd like to "try before you buy" you're welcome to join my friend and I who have a book related blog. We don't focus specifically on historical fiction, though that's all I've been reading lately, but you're welcome to try learning everything.

Also... with a "group" blog, the pressure isn't all on you to make consistent posts. You have others who are reading and posting. My friend reads a lot faster than I do, but I do what I can.

Return to “Chat”