Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

writer's section

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!
Helen_Davis

writer's section

Post by Helen_Davis » Sat November 15th, 2008, 3:01 am

Hi, I was wondering if we could post the writer's section again?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat November 15th, 2008, 3:31 am

You mean where writers used to put excerpts of their work? I suppose we can start it again if there's interest. At the old site, people used to have to obtain a special password to hand out to people who were interested in seeing their excerpts. Do we want to do that again, or make it a section viewable by all?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat November 15th, 2008, 4:51 pm

I actually have a chapter I'm working on that I think sucks and I wanted people to look at it and tell me if it really sucks or not. So I'm up to it..and I'd take it down in 2 days anyway so I dont need the password protection thing. :)

BTW Andromeda_Organa nice to see you jioned us! :D
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat November 15th, 2008, 5:33 pm

Edit: Sorry, me being wishy-washy. Let's see what Diamondlil thinks. I'm inclined on second thought to keep it a private forum to minimize complaints about plagiarism and copyright infringement.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sat November 15th, 2008, 6:24 pm

I'd really like to post the work I don't intend to publish.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat November 15th, 2008, 8:48 pm

I am not really sure. That section of the board really only got used a few times in the entire time it was up.

I think we will guage how many others are interested and go from there.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun November 16th, 2008, 12:48 am

Anyone who posts their work on a non-password-protected internet forum should be aware that it can affect copyright issues. In other words, a publisher may decide it's already been published and refuse it for that reason.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sun November 16th, 2008, 1:42 am

a publisher may decide it's already been published and refuse it for that reason.
Margaret is correct, but only if it's significantly more than a chapter, or an entire short story and the writer hopes to publish that story in a mag. If it's not password protected, writers who hope to publish short stories should keep that in mind.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun November 16th, 2008, 3:39 am

what if I don't intend to publish it? BTW, michelle, did you get the PM I sent you? Also, I posted some of my ANdromeda book on the other forum which was password protected, which I intend to publish, but I took it off when I found this out- am I too late, or am I ok?
Last edited by Helen_Davis on Sun November 16th, 2008, 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sun November 16th, 2008, 5:29 pm

Andromeda, I didn't realize you sent a PM. I will check it right now. Since it was password protected, I don't think it's a problem (edited to say: but I would err on the side of caution). And for the pieces you don't intend to publish, you can post away!
Last edited by michellemoran on Sun November 16th, 2008, 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Return to “Site Suggestions”