Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier

Post by diamondlil » Thu November 13th, 2008, 2:25 am

January 1901, the day after Queen Victoria's death: Two families visit neighbouring graves in a fashionable London cemetery. One is decorated with a sentimental angel, the other an elaborate urn. Separated by social class as well as taste, the Waterhouses cling to tradition while the Colemans look ahead to a more modern society. The families are inextricably linked when their two girls meet behind the tombstones and become friends - and worse become involved with the gravedigger's impetuous son.

As the girls grow up and the new century begins, as cars replace horses and electricity outshines gas lighting, the nation emergres from the shadows of oppressive Victorian values to a golden Edwardian summer. It is then that the beautiful frustrated Mrs Coleman makes a bid for greater personal freedom, with disastrous consequences, and the lives of the Colemans and the Waterhouses are changed forever.

The only other Tracy Chevalier book I have read was Girl with a Pearl Earring, which I absolutely loved! When I read that one I picked it up with the intention of just reading the first couple of pages. Two and a half hours later, I had finished it and was blown away. This book never really grabbed my attention in the same way, although it was an entertaining enough read.

On her website, Chevalier talks about wanting to write a book about the mourning etiquette and social restrictions in place in Victorian England, and the changes in society that started to take place during the reign of Edward VII, and whilst it is that, for me, it was also about the way that secrets can destroy families and relationships.

When the two young girls meet behind the headstones of their family gravestones, they are instant best friends. They also become instant friends with Simon, the gravedigger's son, a young boy who they would never have met during their normal day to day life as he is very definitely a working class boy.

The two girls don't see each other again until the Waterhouses move into the house behind the Colemans and they are reunited. Throughout their childhood they spend a lot of their time playing at the cemetery, firstly being accompanied by Jenny, the Colemans maid, and then later by Maude's mother, Mrs Coleman. Both Jenny and Mrs Coleman visit the cemetery for their own reasons, and have their own consequences, but for the Colemans those consequences are far reaching, when Mrs Coleman becomes ill.

As Mrs Coleman finally recovers from her malaise, she becomes heavily involved in the suffragette meeting following a chance meeting with a suffragette at the opening of the local library. Her husband has no idea who involved until she is arrested and ends up spending time in jail. Whilst this would be hard for a young girl to deal with, Maude has actually been coming second to the cause for quite some time, so whilst it is difficult it is not impossible for her to cope.

Once Mrs Coleman is released from jail, she throws herself into the cause almost with abandon, and with her focus on the cause there are tragic consequences for both families.

As a commentary on some of the major changes that started to happen in the 10 years between the death of Queen Victoria and King Edward VII this was very interesting. Some of the changes included the introduction of electricity to homes, the replacement of horses with cars, and of course the suffragette movement.

Overall, an entertaining enough read, although not as good as Girl with a Pearl Earring. I do plan to read her other books before her new book comes out early next year.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu November 13th, 2008, 3:54 am

I really liked this book but disliked Girl with a pearl Earring. I thought that one was dull. To be fair though I'm very interested in mourning and the suffragette movement.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Winter Beneath the Stars by Jo Thomas
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu November 13th, 2008, 11:54 am

I've loved all her books (haven't read BB yet) except The Virgin Blue, which is good but very much a first novel and which to me felt very unfinished.

I did find FA a bit difficult and repetitive at first, however once the story got going it was very engrossing.

I can recommend Lady and the Unicorn too, also takes a while to get going but once it did I loved it, and there's some humour in there too.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat November 15th, 2008, 11:08 am

Thanks for the excellent review Diamondlil.
I read and enjoyed this one a lot and in some ways perhaps slightly preferred it to Girl with a Pearl Earring. I was more gripped. The latter I felt still showed the pretentiousness of the creative writing degree (took me two attempts to read it because of the opening chapter which just yelled 'Look at me, I'm a creative writer!' I really enjoyed GWAPE once the author got into her stride and forgot she was doing a degree in writing, but I felt in The Lady and Unicorn and Falling Angels that she'd settled down into her true rhythm. Her Blake novel has received mixed reviews but I'll be interested to read it.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”