Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How to find info about upcoming book events

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
LCW
Compulsive Reader

How to find info about upcoming book events

Post by LCW » Tue November 11th, 2008, 8:28 pm

To my dismay I am realizing how many authors have events in Southern California that I never hear about until it's over. For example, last year Michelle Moran was at a Thousand Oaks book store I frequent, C. W. Gortner was at a West Hollywood book fair recently, etc. I would've tried to make time to attend these events had I known about them in advance. Is there some place to find information about book related events coming up in a given area? Other than going to each authors website and finding out that way. That seems a little tedious and leaves out authors I may not know about beforehand! A book fair sounds like so much fun (do I sound like a total nerd saying that?) and had I known beforehand about the one in W. Hollywood I so would've been there!! How do I find out about things like this???
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed November 12th, 2008, 1:38 am

The only way I know of is either on the author websites, or the bookstore websites, or maybe you could sign up for a Google alert of some kind. I don't actually know any more specific ways myself.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed November 12th, 2008, 2:27 am

My state has a writer's association that allows members to list author events such as signings on its website, and the newspaper also lists some bookstore signings. I would think there'd be similar resources in your area. "Alternative," neighborhood, or arts-related publications are also good places to find listings of literary events.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed November 12th, 2008, 2:27 am

Oh my gosh, LCW. Why didn't I know (or remember) you were in So Cal? We should have lunch some time!

There is website which notifies readers (and authors) of tours called booktour.com. I'm terrible about updating my information there, but somehow, they always seem to update for me (or maybe my publicist sends the info in - not sure). But it's a great website!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Wed November 12th, 2008, 2:35 am

Michelle - that is such a great site, thank you!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed November 12th, 2008, 5:30 am

I used to find out on Readerville, on the old site. But now no one seems to be using the 'book events' thread any more.

Most authors here go to the two big indies we have, so I get email info from them. You might check with yours to get automatic emails about upcoming events. I also check our Sunday paper; in the Arts section there is a column on book notes, that tells about reading around the valley.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed November 12th, 2008, 9:35 am

LibraryThing have a Local feature that could be of use. Events have to be listed by users, but if authors and bookstores are encouraged to use the feature it could be quite valuable as a central place to see what is on near you.

Return to “General Discussion”