Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jennifer Donnelly

aessea1001
Scribbler

Jennifer Donnelly

Post by aessea1001 » Sun November 9th, 2008, 10:40 pm

Has anyone read "The Tea Rose" or "The Winter Rose" by this author, and, if so, what did you think of it? I've read "The Winter Rose" and loved it, and I bought "TTR" from a used bookstore after I heard of The Winter Rose. Also, I've heard that the third book (The Wild Rose) will be available sometime in the future from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Donnelly. When? Has anyone heard? They're in a trilogy:
1.The Tea Rose (2002)
2.The Winter Rose (hardcover January 2008)
3.The Wild Rose (?)
Last edited by aessea1001 on Sun November 9th, 2008, 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: clarification, additions

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun November 9th, 2008, 11:53 pm

I've read both and enjoyed them very much - but they are more romance than some readers on this board care for. There's to be a third out sometime in the future but no idea when.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon November 10th, 2008, 2:09 am

I love Jennifer Donnelly's books, The Winter Rose in particular.

The only news on The Wild Rose is that she is working on it at the moment! One can only hope that it will be out some time next year maybe! It feels as though we have been waiting ages for it!

There are reviews of both the rose books in the book review section, as well as her YA book which is a good read as well.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon November 10th, 2008, 8:27 am

I've read The Tea Rose and loved it. I have The Winter Rose on my TBR pile.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon November 10th, 2008, 11:21 am

I read the Tea Rose and thought it was eh. I disliked the Winter Rose. I loved her YA book A Northern Light and wish she would write more like that, but I heard her next story will be about a woman travling back in time. Not my thing.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon November 10th, 2008, 1:07 pm

I very much enjoyed The Tea Rose. It's one of those big, cosy, settle down on a winter's evening novels. I think it was a strong 4 star novel for me. The Winter Rose is on my mental TBR.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun December 14th, 2008, 11:29 pm

I seem to be in the minority about the Tea Rose books. I acquired an ARC of Winter Rose at BEA in 2007, so I went back and read The Tea Rose. I thought the writing was pretentious and overdone, and the coincidences too unlikely.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun December 14th, 2008, 11:36 pm

PS--it says on Amazon UK that The Wild Rose will be coming out in hardcover there in November 2009.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon December 15th, 2008, 12:16 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]I seem to be in the minority about the Tea Rose books. I acquired an ARC of Winter Rose at BEA in 2007, so I went back and read The Tea Rose. I thought the writing was pretentious and overdone, and the coincidences too unlikely.[/quote]

The number of coincidences and near misses in The Tea Rose was one of the reasons why I prefer The Winter Rose to the first book.

As to The Wild Rose being available in November 2009, it might be, but I am not going to rely on it until I hear something concrete. Amazon UK have had it being available in May 2007, then May 2008 and now November 2009.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon December 15th, 2008, 12:54 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]I seem to be in the minority about the Tea Rose books. I acquired an ARC of Winter Rose at BEA in 2007, so I went back and read The Tea Rose. I thought the writing was pretentious and overdone, and the coincidences too unlikely.[/quote]

I'm in the minority with ya :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “By Author”