Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Wise Woman

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri August 28th, 2009, 12:05 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]

I admire PG's skill, tenacity and success, but, for me, her claim to be revisionist and feminist doesn't show, not when she portrays openly ambitious and sexual women, like Anne Boleyn, as amoral, or as in the case of Elizabeth Woodville, as a witch. This is not revisionist, in my opinion: it's tried-and-true stereotype. Women as sluts, as witches, as scheming temptresses. Honestly, what's new there?

[/quote]

exactly! someone finally said it!

I was reading the part in TOQ where Mary is explaining that when she says 'no' to Bothwell, she means 'yes' and thinking: some feminist heroine!

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Thu October 28th, 2010, 10:59 am

I was enjoying this novel (even though I found Alys very unlikable) until the childbirth scene
Wax On Wax Off!

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Thu October 28th, 2010, 11:07 am

It's been a while since I read it, but I think that point in the book is exactly where I stopped reading it. Too distasteful for me :eek:

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Mon November 1st, 2010, 10:37 am

Exactly, after that chapter it was hard to take the book or the characters seriously. Although I did take to the Wideacre Trilogy (In my teens)
I find that her books can be really enjoyable or a waste of time.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Mon November 1st, 2010, 7:00 pm

[quote=""aessea1001""]Just wondering, has anyone read this one? I recently bought it, (although I had to special-order it from my local Barnes&Noble), and I've read the first 50-something pages...I have to say it's pretty good so far. Maybe this book's not very common in the States, (I'm guessing/assuming?) but I'm wondering nonetheless. :) [/quote]

You aroused my interest so I have just ordered the book! Thanks for the inspiration - I'll get back to you when I've read it.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon November 1st, 2010, 7:49 pm

I know I'm in the minority here, but I loved this one and it's one of my favourite Gregory reads. I read it as a historical supernatural and was slightly creeped out.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Fri November 5th, 2010, 8:40 pm

[quote=""wendy""]You aroused my interest so I have just ordered the book! Thanks for the inspiration - I'll get back to you when I've read it.[/quote]

I've started the book and am finding it quite enjoyable. Not been grossed out so far! How about you?

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Thu November 25th, 2010, 1:55 pm

[quote=""wendy""]I've started the book and am finding it quite enjoyable. Not been grossed out so far! How about you?[/quote]

Finished the book. Enjoyed it - but not as much as TOBG.
I found the ending disappointing.

SCW
Avid Reader

Post by SCW » Wed December 15th, 2010, 9:44 am

I bought it thinking it would be a enthralling read of witchcraft, midwifes and the Tudor reformation. It began that way, but then it ended up being a sordid tale of threesomes, avarice and wax!
Spoilers Below!
One thing that I remembered being annoyed about was that all the female characters ended up dying while the male ones lived!
A better book about medieval midwives is The Love Knot!

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Wed December 15th, 2010, 1:27 pm

[quote=""SCW""]I bought it thinking it would be a enthralling read of witchcraft, midwifes and the Tudor reformation. It began that way, but then it ended up being a sordid tale of threesomes, avarice and wax!
Spoilers Below!
One thing that I remembered being annoyed about was that all the female characters ended up dying while the male ones lived!
A better book about medieval midwives is The Love Knot![/quote]

That was the big disappointment for me. After all Alys had gone through I couldn't imagine she would surrender so easily. Maybe PG just needed a quick finish for the book?
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Return to “Philippa Gregory”