Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Helen Hollick

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu November 5th, 2009, 2:20 pm

It's been a couple of years but I don't recall her being all that sympathetic. She did look out for #1 - but she's not an evil baddie either if that makes sense.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu November 5th, 2009, 2:23 pm

That makes perfect sense, Misfit. I think I might have to order it.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu November 5th, 2009, 7:41 pm

I think I read somewhere that there were some inconsistencies between the way some characters were portrayed in the two novels, because they were written as two separate novels and not like a series, if that makes sense.

i can't do the comparison because I haven't read Dunnett :eek: but I liked A Hollow Crown.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu November 5th, 2009, 9:08 pm

I broke down and ordered A Hollow Crown because I've always felt Emma deserved her own story. I also ordered Firedrake by Holland so I can get another PoV on the Norman conquest.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri November 6th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Overall I liked A Hollow Crown as well. It's a bit slow in places, but it was interesting to learn about Emma, Cnut and company.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 6th, 2009, 8:14 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Overall I liked A Hollow Crown as well. It's a bit slow in places, but it was interesting to learn about Emma, Cnut and company.[/quote]

I agree, this one didn't rock my world like Harold did, but it was a good read and very informative on the period.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri November 6th, 2009, 9:52 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Overall I liked A Hollow Crown as well. It's a bit slow in places, but it was interesting to learn about Emma, Cnut and company.[/quote]

Ditto. I found it a bit plodding for much of the first half of the book, compared to Harold at least. But there was no way I wasn't going to stick with and I'm very glad I did.
And that cliff scene is one that will stay with me for a long time.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sat November 7th, 2009, 5:31 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Ditto. I found it a bit plodding for much of the first half of the book, compared to Harold at least. But there was no way I wasn't going to stick with and I'm very glad I did.
And that cliff scene is one that will stay with me for a long time.[/quote]

Is that the scene set at Robin Hood's Bay (Green Man Bay in the novel)? If I remember rightly, the author's note said it was based on a real incident that happened to one of her relatives (grandmother, I think).
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sat November 7th, 2009, 9:19 pm

I'm a little over the half way point with Harold, and so far I think I much prefer Hope Muntz's vision of these characters. Muntz wrote The Golden Warrior in the style of the sagas, which some might not like, but I think she gave the characters and the political forces that shaped them, much more complexity than what I'm finding here. Hollick's characters are very bluntly drawn, and some of the (what seems to me crass) dialogue is driving me nuts. For example, regardless of what Alfgar's sons might have privately thought of their father I do not for one minute believe that they would have called their father a dog turd in front of the King of England. I'd probably like this better if I hadn't already read some books about this period, because I keep comparing Hollick's vision of these character with others.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sat November 7th, 2009, 11:14 pm

[quote=""Carla""]Is that the scene set at Robin Hood's Bay (Green Man Bay in the novel)? If I remember rightly, the author's note said it was based on a real incident that happened to one of her relatives (grandmother, I think).[/quote]

Yes, that's the one.

Return to “By Author”