Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Helen Hollick

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed March 11th, 2009, 5:54 pm

OMG, they're dreadful, aren't they? I read somewhere Helen wasn't that drilled with some of her earlier covers, but these must be far worse. What's such a shame is the covers suggest they are fantasy fiction - when these books are definitely not that.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 11th, 2009, 6:10 pm

I'm glad its not just me, I rather liked the older covers. They're showing up over at Amazon US as well.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Wed March 11th, 2009, 6:34 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I see new covers for the books, at least over at UK. What do the rest of you think of them?
[/quote]

Not much. The Sourcebooks US cover for the first one is much better - hope they keep it up for the others.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Wed March 11th, 2009, 9:22 pm

I love her The Kingmaker cover for the US and I agree EC that does look a little like Frodo, maybe a cousin?

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu March 12th, 2009, 12:30 am

I noticed these the other day as well but they have a 2006 date associated with them so maybe they aren't the new ones(?).

rex icelingas
Reader

Post by rex icelingas » Wed April 1st, 2009, 1:35 pm

Ive read a few of her books

I enjoyed the first Arthurian one but then it became all Romance filled and fantastical so i didnt bother with any more of the series

Are they still trying to make that film of her Harold the King book?

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Wed April 1st, 2009, 3:23 pm

[quote=""rex icelingas""]Ive read a few of her books

I enjoyed the first Arthurian one but then it became all Romance filled and fantastical so i didnt bother with any more of the series

Are they still trying to make that film of her Harold the King book?[/quote]

I believe so. Last time I looked at Helen's website it was still there as a live project. I wish them luck with it.

I enjoyed her Arthur trilogy, though I did feel the first book was the strongest of the three and the last was the weakest. It's interesting that I thought the same about Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment). Have you read those? I have a theory that stories about Arthur allow the author plenty of freedom in his early career, but tend to get squashed by the sheer weight of legend once they get to the bit where Arthur is High King.
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed April 1st, 2009, 7:46 pm

I agree about Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy - loved The Crystal Cave, liked The Hollow Hills, was disappointed by The Last Enchantment - except that there's a 4th one, The Wicked Day, that would fit in the series except that it doesn't focus on Merlin. It's a sympathetic novel about Mordred, and I think it's the best of all.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Thu April 2nd, 2009, 10:19 am

I really liked The Wicked Day, too. I always think of it as a standalone, although it follows on from the Merlin trilogy.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu November 5th, 2009, 2:17 pm

Can anyone elaborate on how Emma is portrayed in A Hollow Crown? I am reading Harold the King right now and there's something niggling me about her portrayal of several of the major players in this (although I'm only 100 pages in, so I could feel very differently by the end of the novel). I find them competently portrayed but something is missing beyond what's on the surface (perhaps Dorothy Dunnett has spoiled me, because my image of some of these characters comes directly from Dunnett). I'd be interested in A Hollow Crown if Hollick has given the psychological insight into Emma's character that a strong, scheming survivor like her deserves. Just curious as I'm debating whether to pursue that one.

Return to “By Author”