Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Helen Hollick

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon February 9th, 2009, 11:19 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Another author we don't have a thread on yet. I loved Harold the King, and I've also read A Hollow Crown (a good, but one time only read) both books on England prior to and leading up to the Norman Conquest.

I see she's also written a trilogy on King Arthur, along with the Sea Witch Chronicles that I don't know much about, but I'm interested in hearing more.[/quote]

Thank you for posting this. I had previously read about this author, but did not write down her name. All these books sound as if I would enjoy them. (I just made a note of the author's name!)
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue February 10th, 2009, 12:43 am

[quote=""enelya""]I am currently reading her Arthur books. I am in the second one know and so far I am enjoying myself. I picked up one in a second hand shop and had to order the other ones on Amazon, but so far it certainly has been worth the trouble. I will put her other books on my wish list, lol[/quote]

I did read her Arthur books after this posting and enjoyed them a lot - although the last book dragged just a tad. There are very different from the usual Arthur stories. No Merlin, magic or damsels in distress. I was lucky to get all three via the library - which is good as some of them are getting a bit spendy.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue February 10th, 2009, 12:45 am

[quote=""Susan""]Thank you for posting this. I had previously read about this author, but did not write down her name. All these books sound as if I would enjoy them. (I just made a note of the author's name!)[/quote]

Susan, Harold is so good (did I put him on the Hunks in History thread?), although as hard to get to the end as say Penman's Sunne in Splendour - because no matter how much you wish it the ending...well...doesn't change.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue February 10th, 2009, 12:50 am

I've never heard of the author; Harold the King certainly has my interest. But they don't make it easy to buy. Every copy I am seeing is $25 or more, and thats for a paperback! Looks like I have another search request for my local bookstore...(they are probably real tired of these!)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue February 10th, 2009, 12:53 am

[quote=""Ash""]I've never heard of the author; Harold the King certainly has my interest. But they don't make it easy to buy. Every copy I am seeing is $25 or more, and thats for a paperback! Looks like I have another search request for my local bookstore...(they are probably real tired of these!)[/quote]

Ash, its a really really really BIG paperback though.....

BTW, this was the only book (outside of self-published books) that I could not get via inter library loan - the letter I got back from the library said they couldn't get it without "going out of the country".

I'd offer to loan it to you but it's so heavy the mailing costs back and forth would end up being $25....

enelya
Reader

Post by enelya » Tue February 10th, 2009, 9:06 am

maybe you could try amazon....I picked up mine on amazon uk, and the prices weren't too bad

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Tue February 10th, 2009, 11:52 am

Sourcebooks is republishing Helen Hollick's Arthurian trilogy, so they should soon become much easier to find in the US. I'm reviewing the first one, The Kingmaking, just now, publication is due at the end of this month. Perhaps they will republish Harold the King (my favourite of her historical novels) as well.

Misfit, I reviewed Sea Witch a while back. I'll post the review in case you're interested.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue February 10th, 2009, 12:01 pm

[quote=""Carla""]Sourcebooks is republishing Helen Hollick's Arthurian trilogy, so they should soon become much easier to find in the US. I'm reviewing the first one, The Kingmaking, just now, publication is due at the end of this month. Perhaps they will republish Harold the King (my favourite of her historical novels) as well.
[/quote]

Helen is waiting to see how Source run with the Arthur books. She won't let them have Harold unless they prove they can make a good job - she has the same cautious ethos as me re their performance which is an unknown quantity.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue February 10th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Sourcebooks is the publisher reissuing a bunch of Heyers and at least one of du Maurier's (I hope they end up reissuing a bunch of hers the way that Virago has for the UK). I own a few of the Heyers and have been happy with them so far. Hopefully, they'll do right by Hollick. I'm not really knowledgeable about the business side of books, though.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Tue February 10th, 2009, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue February 10th, 2009, 3:44 pm

[quote=""Carla""]Misfit, I reviewed Sea Witch a while back. I'll post the review in case you're interested.[/quote]

Carla, I'll look for that. I've avoided The Sea Witch as I understood it was self-published and I read at least one complaint about the typos. Pinching pennies these days anyway. Not buying much of anything. Library is my main source for books these days.

Return to “By Author”