Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Carolly Erickson

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Tue September 1st, 2009, 12:37 am

[QUOTE=Chatterbox;38753] The Snow Mountain by Catherine Gavin QUOTE]

whats this one about?

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue September 1st, 2009, 1:05 am

It's about the last Tsar and his family, but a bit more complex than that. Mostly about Olga (the eldest daughter), a young soldier who meets her while attached to the division guarding the Imperial family in 1913. The other main characters are a young American diplomat on his first posting, a bourgeois/academic Russian family (the parents & sister of the soldier), and a young revolutionary woman (who went to school with the sister). All their fates are interrelated. The main story line is the (doomed) love affair between Olga and Simon Hendrikov. Very good, published in the late 70s originally.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue September 1st, 2009, 1:24 am

I have an old copy of Snow Mountain on my self :)

I think Erickson take a lot of liberties, but it was ok with the Tatiana one cause we all know she's dead anyway. But the Josephine book was a bit much.

Its like she has historical people and she does whatever she wants with em.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 1st, 2009, 2:00 am

I can't recall the specifics (go to Amazon) but I gave this a three star rating.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 1st, 2009, 7:37 pm

There's a review up on Amazon giving it 3.5, and that reviewer is always always always one or two stars ahead of me.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue September 1st, 2009, 9:09 pm

The MQS one, Misfit? I only see one review up, 4 stars. And $14.29 on Kindle? No way.... (I'm not a boycotter, I just like value for my $$)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 1st, 2009, 9:20 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]The MQS one, Misfit? I only see one review up, 4 stars. And $14.29 on Kindle? No way.... (I'm not a boycotter, I just like value for my $$)[/quote]

That's the one. Library has them ordered so I'll give it a shot.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri September 4th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Someone had noted the difficulty finding any other Romanov-related HF. Aside from the Snow Mountain, I just recalled Robert Alexander has at least three books set in that time period -- his latest focuses on the Tsarina's sister, Elizabeth, who became an orthodox nun in Russia after being widowed. He's not a romantic writer, and isn't only interested in royalty but in the broad sweep of what is going on, and has a vaguely literary tilt in style, but it is HF revolving around the Romanovs.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue September 8th, 2009, 8:11 am

Well, I read the MQS book -- I did not buy it, a friend sent it to me and I read it this weekend as comic relief from the work pressures. It is absolutely UTTERLY DREADFUL. It is badly written and just downright bizarre. I gave it a single star on Amazon; the only reason I wrote the review at all rather than just trying to blot it out was that the only two reviews out there were 4 star. This for a book that (SPOILER ALERT) sends MQS to Rome, a Flemish military camp and a Normandy farm (where she feeds apples to pigs and learns how to collect eggs without being pecked to death by chickens).

Actually, I get angrier the more I think about it. It's actually offensive to people who care about history and does an injustice to those who might pick it up and figure that they are getting the real story about MQS, or at least a plausible theory of what might have happened to her.

Utter dreck. Hit the wall & then the garbage can. That would be the KITCHEN garbage.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 8th, 2009, 9:58 am

I read it this weekend as comic relief from the work pressures
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does that. I'll wait patiently for a library copy. Although since you've already done the civic duty I might not have to :p

Return to “By Author”