Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Carolly Erickson

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

The Tsarina's Daughter

Post by Misfit » Thu November 6th, 2008, 1:30 am

I've just called uncle at 50 pages. I don't mind suspending belief at times - since this was promoted as "historical entertainment" (WTF is that???) - but the writing was just so flat and mediocre that I wasn't pulled in to the story or characters at all. When Tatiana befriended the kitchen worker's child and dressed as a peasant and went out somewhere with baskets of left over food to feed god knows who I bailed.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu November 6th, 2008, 3:41 am

lol, that bad eh?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu November 6th, 2008, 4:04 am

The ending is pretty standard too. I mean you knew where it was going. Since I am so hungry for anything with Russia in it I read it anyway.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu November 6th, 2008, 12:55 pm

[quote=""nona""]lol, that bad eh?[/quote]

For me it was, but unlike Divia I'm not hungry for anything set in Russia.

Laura
Reader

Post by Laura » Thu November 6th, 2008, 1:33 pm

Misfit, not even Anna Karenina and War and Peace? Those books are unforgettable.

Laura
Reader

Post by Laura » Thu November 6th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Recently, I read The Bronze Horseman and I liked it even if the end was very predicable. Doctor Zhivago is another great Russian book.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu November 6th, 2008, 2:17 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I've just called uncle at 50 pages. [/quote]

I had never heard this expression. I understood the meaning from the context - but had to look it to be sure!

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu November 6th, 2008, 2:31 pm

[quote=""Laura""]Misfit, not even Anna Karenina and War and Peace? Those books are unforgettable.[/quote]

I heard AK was an incredible book.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu November 6th, 2008, 2:32 pm

[quote=""Laura""]Recently, I read The Bronze Horseman and I liked it even if the end was very predicable. Doctor Zhivago is another great Russian book.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I read AK and DZ when I was much younger. The Bronze Horseman has been on my mental TBR pile. Just haven't gotten around to it. Other than that the only one in Russia I've read is The Snow Mountain and that was a bit slow.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu November 6th, 2008, 2:32 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I had never heard this expression. I understood the meaning from the context - but had to look it to be sure![/quote]

:D :D :D Guess that's not a common phrase for you Brits??

Return to “By Author”