Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A reminder of what's at stake tomorrow!

LCW
Compulsive Reader

A reminder of what's at stake tomorrow!

Post by LCW » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 7:14 pm

Does anyone else see the ad for Prop 8 up on the site's main page? I thought it was particularly striking that it shows up today on the eve of an historic election. Prop. 8 is a measure to change California's constitution to overturn the rights granted recently to gay couples by the California courts by banning gay marriage. It's a hotly contested issue here! Personally, I think it's very sad that it's even on the ballot in the first place. IMO, "the land of the free" would never discriminate against other Americans in any way shape or form! In any state!! I fervently hope it is defeated tomorrow so fairness, equality, and tolerance prevail!

But seeing the ad is a great reminder of how much is at stake for the USA and the world tomorrow, Nov. 4th. Here's to hoping ALL votes will be counted, there will be no voter fraud, voter suppression, or voter intimidation, and that the true will of the people is done. I'm excited/exausted and am soo looking forward to the results!! Now go out and vote if you haven't already!! :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 7:22 pm

I wish I could vote on Prop 8 but I don't live in CA :( I'd vote to keep gays and lesbians able to marry and have other rights.

Also I couldn't see the ad on the main page, what main page, this site or another site?

Mom and I already mailed our ballots on the 22nd, we took them to the PO, hopefully they're safe there.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 7:29 pm

I have not been able to do much of anything the last few days, for checking the news websites to see what's going on with the election! Whoever wins on Tuesday, its being over will help my productivity immensely. Of course, if a certain side wins, I'm likely to be consuming my time in finding out what has to be done to emigrate to Canada . . .
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 7:33 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I have not been able to do much of anything the last few days, for checking the news websites to see what's going on with the election! Whoever wins on Tuesday, it's being over will help my productivity immensely. Of course, if a certain side wins, I'm likely to be consuming my time in finding out what has to be done to emigrate to Canada . . .[/quote]

I just hope we find out tomorrow night before we head to bed (at least in some states) who the winner is and no more of this crap waiting a few days or a few weeks!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 7:39 pm

I will not be voting this year. This whole thing is a joke and I no longer feel that anything I "say" politically speaking matters.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 7:40 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I have not been able to do much of anything the last few days, for checking the news websites to see what's going on with the election! Whoever wins on Tuesday, it's being over will help my productivity immensely. Of course, if a certain side wins, I'm likely to be consuming my time in finding out what has to be done to emigrate to Canada . . .[/quote]

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one! There's no work getting done around here as all we do is talk about the election! And at night I'm glued to CNN and MSNBC (LOVE the new Rachel Maddow show!) and that's cutting into my reading time in a major way! Tomorrow I'm working a half day and taking Wednesday off.....just in case it's a really late night or I have to go protest or something! ;)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 7:46 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]I will not be voting this year. This whole thing is a joke and I no longer feel that anything I "say" politically speaking matters.[/quote]

Well, the sure fire way to make sure your opinion DOESN'T count is to not vote! Remember, it's not just the Presidential election but local, and regional elections also have a huge impact on people's daily lives. Sometimes in a more direct way than the presidential election!

Just a few examples of how my life has personally been affected by the outcome of elections: My brother in the Air Force has had to put himself in harms way four times now by being sent to Iraq. One can aruge about whether the war is right or not, but the fact is that had someone else been President, my brother's life would not have been in danger in this particular situation. Also, everyone complains about how two years ago when Democrats got control of congress nothing got done. I beg to differ! Student loans were up to almost 7% interest rate under the current administration. The Democratic congress kept their word and lowered the rates to between 3-4% depending on your payback status. That directly imapcts me financially by saving me tens of thousands of dollars over the course of paying back my loans!!

Your vote really does matter!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 8:18 pm

Isn't the saying - "if you don't vote, you don't get to complain"?

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Emily
Scribbler

Post by Emily » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 8:48 pm

I'm not in CA, but for those of you who are, please take a minute to read prop 2:

http://www.yesonprop2.com

Proposition 2, The Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act, is a modest initiative that would give calves, pigs, and chickens in California room to stand up, lie down, turn around, and fully extend their limbs. It's endorsed by the Humane Society of the United States, the California Veterinary Medical Association, the Center for Food Safety, the Consumer Federation of America, and dozens of newspapers from the New York Times to the San Diego Union-Tribune.
Last edited by Emily on Tue November 4th, 2008, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changing the url

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 8:51 pm

Watch for what happens in Florida besides typical examples of Murphey's Law.

A large batch of voter registration forms signed with all personal info was found scattered all over Interstate Hwy 4.

Also, in Florida we have a proposition similar to California's 8. A Yes on Proposition 2 protects marriage as a union between a man and a woman as husband and wife and no other legal union that is treated as marriage or the substantial equivalent thereof shall be valid or recognized.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Return to “Chat”