Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2008 - Flashman and the Dragon by George MacDonald Fraser

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

August 2008 - Flashman and the Dragon by George MacDonald Fraser

Postby diamondlil » Tue August 26th, 2008, 8:39 pm

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=httpwwwhist08-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=0452261910&fc1=000000&IS2=1<1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width: 120px; height: 240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Discuss Flashman and the Dragon by George MacDonald Fraser in this thread.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Fri August 29th, 2008, 4:58 am

Aha! Now I know why I put this book on hold at the library. I did want to read a Flashman, and I was wondering why I didn't start with the first one in the series.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings and over 650 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Fri August 29th, 2008, 10:41 pm

The lightbulb comes on. I do have this here on my TBR shelf, and I will get there but it won't be this month,

Lintalee
Scribbler

Postby Lintalee » Mon September 1st, 2008, 11:47 pm

I'm too late for the August reading, but if anyone is still interested, Robert Messenger wrote a moving remembrance piece about Fraser in the January 17 edition of The Wall Street Journal.

You can find a summary of the article in my July 11 blog posting at www.historyintofiction.com.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 12:11 am

I must say I got bogged down on Flashman and the Redskins about half-way through. What was funny and new at the beginning started to get boring and old after a while.
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
my passions: fair trade, ending slavery, and justice.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
User signature picture

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue September 30th, 2008, 3:09 am

I am nearly finished this book and I have to say that I really unsure of what I think of it in some ways.

I have enjoyed it. I have laughed out loud several times. I love all the notes and appendices and additional info that is provided, and how close to actual history the story seems to be.

I did go into the book expecting it to be non-PC, but there have been moments when I have cringed at some aspects because it is very, very non PC. I get that he is a man of his time, but there were just a couple of instances of things going too far if you know what I mean.

It has also taken me ages to read, not only due to the book but because I drove a couple of days instead of taking the train and had a couple of days off. I think part of it is having to concentrate more because it is a very different kind of book for me.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Tue September 30th, 2008, 2:15 pm

This is actually my least favourite Flashy of all.

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Tue September 30th, 2008, 2:24 pm

It's not my favourite either even though I nominated it.

At the Charge has that one wrapped up.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Tue September 30th, 2008, 6:10 pm

At the Charge IS my favourite!!!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue September 30th, 2008, 9:57 pm

Let me ask this question then. I really don't like reading a series out of order, so I broke my own rule to read this one first. If I am going to continue reading the series, I would want to start at the beginning. Are the earlier books in the series worth reading?
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Feature of the Month”