Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Thu December 18th, 2008, 12:49 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]I'm interested in reading the series (or at least starting!). What's the order to the books? Does it matter where you begin, or can you jump around?[/quote]

They definitely have to be read in order, they follow one family chronologically from the 15th century through the 20th, so far!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu December 18th, 2008, 9:29 am

Here's a link to the order they should be read in (if you scroll down a little!). The first book is The Founding.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Sun December 21st, 2008, 8:00 pm

Well, since I'm snowbound and without anything new to read I re-started The Founding. It must be the 4th or 5th time I've read it and I still love it!

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sat January 10th, 2009, 10:51 pm

Thanks for the responses! I've spent the past few days picking up copies of various books in the series; a volume here, a volume there. Currently I only have three of them--The Founding, The Black Pearl, and The Question. I'm really excited about getting started, though reading all the books seems daunting!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 11:17 am

Here's book no 32 in the Morland Dynasty due out in November. No title as yet, though - I believe it's going to be called 'The Fallen Kings'. Sadly, it also looks like there will only be two more books after this.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 3:24 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Here's book no 32 in the Morland Dynasty due out in November. No title as yet, though - I believe it's going to be called 'The Fallen Kings'. Sadly, it also looks like there will only be two more books after this.[/quote]

Hmm. I'd heard that she was going to take the series up through WWII, but if there are only two more books after #32, it looks as though se won't get there. Wonder where the series will stop?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 6:52 pm

I think book 32 ties up WWI, so whether CHE will fit in WWII in the next two books, we'll have to see.

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Fri February 6th, 2009, 11:23 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I think book 32 ties up WWI, so whether CHE will fit in WWII in the next two books, we'll have to see.[/quote]

I don't think she will. There is a discussion group for the series that is trying to get up a petition and sending letters to the publisher to ask them to continue her contract. I hope so, because I think she would do a wonderful job with WWII as a backdrop.
And I'm heartbroken to think they're almost over.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sat February 7th, 2009, 11:09 pm

Yes, I've 'signed' it.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed February 11th, 2009, 9:55 am

I am now 200 pages into the first book in the Morland series, and I can already tell you that I will definitely be reading more books in this series. I am really enjoying it so far.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “By Author”