Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

November 2008: The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victo

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun May 31st, 2009, 12:47 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I got as far as the first chapter and decided it wasn't the book for me. It was very dry and much too detailed - mind you I used to read a lot of true crime and love the small details.[/quote]

I felt quite compelled to read on as I wanted to know the truth. Thinking about it again now, I think it's quite a sad story and it's inferred that someone did virtually get away with it and went on to live quite a fulfilling life doing what they wanted to do. So in a way it was also about love.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon May 23rd, 2011, 3:12 pm

Resurrecting an old thread, but there was a UK TV adaptation of this book a month or so ago. I've recorded it but not watched it yet.

And interestingly, today I read that a second series has been commissioned. Two points, I guess. Well, the first one was a single drama, not a series, I believe. So, whether we would be getting a series, or just a second single drama is not clear. Plus, I guess this would mean a new fictional story being created, rather than the real-life story of the book, which was already covered in the first drama.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon May 23rd, 2011, 4:13 pm

I really enjoyed the TV version, wonder what they'll come up with, or if they'll follow Whicher (SPOILER)

after he left the force

which would mean a new story I suppose.
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill

Return to “Feature of the Month”