Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best love scene in HF?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Best love scene in HF?

Post by Catherine Delors » Fri October 31st, 2008, 4:40 pm

I vote for the scene between Something Delicious and Jade Doll in Aztec! :D

About you?

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri October 31st, 2008, 4:46 pm

Hmm... I'll have to think about love scene.

Best kiss, though, is without a doubt when Francis Crawford of Lymond finally kisses his wife.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 31st, 2008, 5:17 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Hmm... I'll have to think about love scene.

Best kiss, though, is without a doubt when Francis Crawford of Lymond finally kisses his wife.[/quote]

Oh yes indeed. For me it's got to be one of Jamie and Claire's but which one to chose????

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 31st, 2008, 5:58 pm

I've never been that struck with Jamie and Clare's love scenes - they're good but not WOW!
Some of SKP's. They're not long, but they pack a punch. The one in Here Be Dragons when Joanna and Llewelyn get together after an argument and she bites his thumb or something like that. Now that is hot.
Robert Gellis does some terrific ones in her Roselynde Chronicles that are totally realistic. Alinor resisting Ian before the wedding night where he holds out his hand and tempts her - cor!
And their wedding night itself. You can believe that these are real people making love and not just lovingly described body parts.
Or the scene in the stable in Great Maria where the hero and heroine are not perfect beings, but just an ordinary couple caught in the lust of the moment. Again, it's realistic.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri October 31st, 2008, 6:00 pm

One of my favorites is in one of the later Outlander books (can't remember exactly which one) but it basically involves Jaime and Clair making love while Claire is half hanging out a window staring up at the night sky! Yowza!!

My favorite non love scene love scene is the first time Llewellyn and Ellen meet in SKP's The Reckoning three years after Ellen was kidnapped by King Edwards pirates on her way to her wedding! Just pure sexy hot steam....with all their clothes on!! Now that is HOT!

ETA: One of the reasons I love Jaime and Claire's story so much is that they are so hot and sexy way into their 50's. It's a great perspective for me, being 20 years younger! And it's great to know that sex can be so hot....still!
Last edited by LCW on Fri October 31st, 2008, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri October 31st, 2008, 6:06 pm

I'm with EC -- I vote for the one in Great Maria. Maybe because J and I are no spring chickens either, but in the bedroom things keep getting better the more you know about each other.
SKP really does a good job in her books too.

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Fri October 31st, 2008, 6:24 pm

[quote=""LCW""]Jaime and Clair making love while Claire is half hanging out a window staring up at the night sky!
[/quote]

Wow! Isn't that dangerous? I suffer from vertigo, so maybe I won't try that...

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri October 31st, 2008, 6:35 pm

[quote=""Catherine Delors""]Wow! Isn't that dangerous? [/quote]

Considering what Jaime and Claire have been through I'd say that was rather tame! ;)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Fri October 31st, 2008, 6:46 pm

And Jaime and Clair were doing that in their 50s! As for me, though I am a bit younger, I'll stay away from the windows.

So no one else loved the Aztec scene?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 31st, 2008, 6:58 pm

[quote=""Catherine Delors""]And Jaime and Clair were doing that in their 50s! As for me, though I am a bit younger, I'll stay away from the windows.

So no one else loved the Aztec scene?[/quote]

I've read Aztec but I don't remember the scene - sorry!

I don't think I've read the window scene so I might not be far enough along in the series. I've got the books on my TBR if someone can direct me to the relevant one and where it ocurrs (approx?)

Susan
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “General Discussion”