Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hard to find books cheaply

For discussion about particular book sellers (brick-and-mortar bookstores, online book sellers, auction sites, swap sites, etc.)
gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Mon December 15th, 2008, 8:14 pm

You might also want to check out Bookcloseouts.com . I have no idea if they ship to Brazil or what the charges are but they have very competitive domestic US shipping and they have great prices on books. Almost all are remainders and are marked as such (a black marker slashed across the bottom edge -- not noticeable and even not that hard to remove if you are so inclined with a judicious application of bleach -- Tide pens are great for this -- or binding the book tightly with a rubber band and carefully applying some fine grained sandpaper); but after taking the time and effort to remove one mark my first purchase I have since just left alone.

Also you can set up wishlists that let you know when a book becomes available if it is not already in stock.

One thing to look at for ABEbooks is their "Wants" system. You can set up a wants list and detail the location, price and format of the book -- making sure that you only get specific titles or authors at prices you think are within your budget. Making the list as broad or as specifc as you want. you can then delete items that make your want list that don't meet your criteria -- this lets you keep the Want search open without having a cluttered list of books you already know don't meet your needs. I have a huge list of wants that I go in and check almost daily. Some people fish. I set out Want nets for books.

Return to “Book Sellers/Traders”