Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Boleyn Inheritance, by Philippa Gregory

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed October 29th, 2008, 11:51 pm

This is my favorite PG book as well - great review Carla.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Thu October 30th, 2008, 9:44 am

Thanks, everybody! Of the Philippa Gregory novels I've read, this is my favourite by a country mile, chiefly because of Kitty Howard. I can forgive a book a lot if it makes me laugh.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu October 30th, 2008, 1:19 pm

I enjoyed this book too. Although Philippa didn't publish in chronological order, I feel like it wraps up the Tudor series.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu October 30th, 2008, 11:37 pm

I did find this to be better than most of what PG has written, but I still dislike her intensely as a writer. I'm not going to bother with TOQ, as I really don't need to read yet another book on Mary of Scotland...

Excellent review, Carla. Well done!

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Thu October 30th, 2008, 11:43 pm

Yeah!!! You guys are making me feel better about reading this one. After just finishing 2 of hers I felt "ho hum" about reading this one, but now you've raised my hopes for it ;)

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 12:15 am

After 'The Other Boleyn Girl', I thought this was the best of PGs novels. I enjoyed reading about two little known, vastly different queens in this tumultuous time. Quick, light, and enjoyable. 3.5/5

(IMHO, her other books were becoming boring as they were too boring and similar. I'm taking a good long break from PG).

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 12:31 am

I enjoyed this one as well, and is my favorite of hers. I agree you might want to take a break from her. I know I am. After The Other Queen, I just dont think I can stomach another book by her for quite sometime.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed December 24th, 2008, 3:09 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I enjoyed this one as well, and is my favorite of hers. I agree you might want to take a break from her. I know I am. After The Other Queen, I just dont think I can stomach another book by her for quite sometime.[/quote]

me neither!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed December 24th, 2008, 4:18 pm

[quote=""Andromeda_Organa""]me neither![/quote]

Now I am convinced I don't want to attempt The Other Queen for quite a while. I recently finished A Question of Guilt, another book about Mary, so it's not such a good idea to read about her right now.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”