Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Italian and Latin

Barbara Passaris
Scribbler

Italian and Latin

Post by Barbara Passaris » Mon October 27th, 2008, 11:37 pm

Does anyone know if the online translators that are "hooked" to my word program are reliable?

Also, where can I find a way to translate English into Latin? Is there a reliable source (book) that anyone in the HF family knows about?

Thanks so much.

Barb Passaris
Last edited by Barbara Passaris on Mon October 27th, 2008, 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: typos

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon October 27th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Here's a trick to see if any of those online things are reliable.

Take a well known literary phrase from English - say 'frankly my dear I don't give a damn'. Translate it to language A. Then take that translation and translated it to language B. Then go from language B to English. If it doesn't make sense, then you probably don't want to use that system.

This is actually fun to do, just for the laughs you get at the very end.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon October 27th, 2008, 11:42 pm

[quote=""Barbara Passaris""]Also, where can I find a way to translate English into Latin? Is there a reliable source (book) that anyone in the HF family knows about?[/quote]

I Googled "english to latin translation" and got a lot of sites.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Barbara Passaris
Scribbler

Post by Barbara Passaris » Tue October 28th, 2008, 12:31 am

Thanks, all,

I'll check all of the above out. I'm a stickler for getting it right.

Barb

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue October 28th, 2008, 11:04 am

The truth is that no online translator is fully reliable. No doubt they have improved, but are best used only for simple sentences and for helping you get the gist of something, rather than as a faithful representation of the original.

Ash's trick is a helpful one and should prove that, for anything more complex than "the cat is on the mat", they are not fully reliable.

(But then, as someone who has worked as a translator in the past, I would say that.)

Return to “Questions and Research”