Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Childhood books

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Sat November 15th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Our teacher, when I was seven, read The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier aloud. It's about the children of a Polish family surviving through the Second World War.
It made such a great impression on me that, when I was asked what book I would like as a reward for passing my 11+ exam, that was the book I asked for - and I still have a copy.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Sat December 13th, 2008, 2:08 am

Pretty much anything by Enid Blyton, particularly The Enchanted Wood trio, and the Malory Towers series (not such a fan of St Clare's though)
The Anne of Green Gables series
The Billabong books by Mary Grant Bruce
The Chalet School series by Elinor M Brent-Dyer (stiull love these - I finally completed my collection about 3 years ago :) )
Anything by Rosemary Sutcliffe, particularly her Roman ones. Also Henry Treece (Vikings mostly)

Shall probably think of many others once hitting the "post" button...

Return to “Chat”