Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Childhood books

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 31st, 2008, 12:25 am

[quote=""Margaret""]I don't think anyone's mentioned the Nancy Drew books yet. The summer I was 7, we spent several weeks at my maternal grandmother's house, and she gave me a box of books that had been my mother's when she was a girl. Most of them were Nancy Drews. I still remember the tweedy blue-and-white covers and the old-fashioned illustrations[/quote]

I actually have several of those dating back to the 20's, along with a couple of other series from that period. I vaguely recall one of those other books had a mystery on a prince in tower having survived and come to the US. I'll have to dig it out and see what's there. Mom's sisters were quite a bit older than her and I inherited quite an interesting collection of old books from them.
Last edited by Misfit on Fri October 31st, 2008, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ellie
Reader

Post by Ellie » Fri October 31st, 2008, 2:01 am

Well Wind in the Willows was the first book I ever read (well dad read to me). But then when I could read my self it would have to be the Pony Pal books, Black Beauty and Anne of Green Gables.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri October 31st, 2008, 9:27 am

I liked Wind in the Willows.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri October 31st, 2008, 9:07 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]I don't think anyone's mentioned the Nancy Drew books yet. The summer I was 7, we spent several weeks at my maternal grandmother's house, and she gave me a box of books that had been my mother's when she was a girl. Most of them were Nancy Drews. I still remember the tweedy blue-and-white covers and the old-fashioned illustrations. Come to think of it, these may be partly responsible for my love of historical fiction, because the stories reflected the time period when my mother was a child and definitely felt like a different world to me than the one I lived in.[/quote]

I did ;) ! Although I was a bit older, probably a tweenager when I discovered them! :D

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 3:43 pm

[quote=""red805""]The first time I visited New York City I just had to go to the Metropolitan Museum, like the kids in "From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler." I also loved books about Indians, and "My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George, a 1960 Newbury runner-up, but luckily didn't try to hitchhike to the wilderness!
[/quote]

I also thought of that book while visiting the Met. To my husband's chagrin, I even went into the furniture section, thinking of the kids sleeping in the beds.

I also liked the Little House books, Anne of Green Gables, Nancy Drew, a few Bobbesey Twins books, all the Margeurite Henry and horse books I could read.

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 3:48 pm

It all started with The Black Stallion series for me, with my dad reading to us every night. I went on to the Little House series, then Anne of Green Gables, and Emily of New Moon. As a teenager I got into Steinbeck, O. Wells and alot of the classics.
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 4:07 pm

I can't think of any books that had a negative impact on me but I think every book that I read had a positive one in that it fostered my love of reading. My favorite books growing up were Charlotte's Web, the Wizard of Oz series, anything by Laura Ingalls Wilder, the Narnia books, Ramona books by Beverly Cleary (which my daughter also loved) and Nancy Drew books. My stepmother had the whole series of Nancy Drew books from when she was younger and she let me borrow them. Every time I went to visit my dad, I got to trade the ones I had read for new ones to take home. I think it was her way of trying to make a connection with me (since I didn't like her very much at the time).

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 9:40 pm

I think the romances I read as a teenager had a somewhat negative effect on me. Nine times out of ten, the plot line was about a young woman madly in love with a young man who seems cold to her, but who is in fact just as madly in love with her. This led me to misinterpret a lot of perfectly innocent behavior as evidence of secret passion! Mortifyingly embarrassing.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Bobbi
Scribbler

Post by Bobbi » Wed November 5th, 2008, 2:10 am

The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton, my Mum bought it for me when I was a kids and that's what started my addiction. :)

chuck
Bibliophile

Oz Books

Post by chuck » Wed November 12th, 2008, 8:14 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I'm definitely going to be in the minority I see. My mom had most (but not all) of the Oz Books, her copies purchased in the 30's. The first few were written by L. Frank Baum but another writer started after him. They were awesome reads, sending Dorothy back to Oz and meeting new people/characters, always with a good lesson.

I've seen some of these coming back in to print and I recommend them for parents with younger readers.[/quote]

My 4th grade teacher was a great animated reader...She read the "Wizard of Oz" to our class....Wow....not long after; they started showing the film on TV around Thanksgiving?....I was mesmerized for years....Great.... Great story for young and old....Then there is my most favorite Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" ..that's another post........."NOBODY GETS TO SEE THE WIZARD....NOT NOBODY....NOT NO HOW"
Last edited by chuck on Wed November 12th, 2008, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat”