Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Icons on Main Page

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
red805
Avid Reader

Book Icons on Main Page

Post by red805 » Mon June 8th, 2020, 11:37 pm

I see that Gone With the Wind now has two icons on our main page. I'm wondering what dropped off, or did I just never notice that GWTW was on there twice! I know there are four more books that rotate in - Far Pavillions, Captain from Castille, & I think Horatio Hornblower & Shogun. The reason I wondered what's missing or got changed out is because I figured these were the eight best HF books ever ;) & I put the ones I haven't read yet on my TBR list. Was I Claudius there before? Ha ha, important stuff!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Book Icons on Main Page

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue June 9th, 2020, 2:57 pm

Actually, the banner isn't meant to be the best ever, it's just what I could cobble together in a hurry, and, as I'm fairly neglectful, I've never gone back to update it, since that would mean jogging my old brain as to how the process was originally done.
But the reason those books are up there is
1) the authors are all dead and gone, so as to save any push from current authors who want to market;
2) the copyright on the cover images has also expired, so no legal issues there;
3) all the books are widely recognized as being worth the reader's time;
4) they represent variety within the HF umbrella. Hornblower for nautical, Fire From Heaven and I Claudius for classical-era, Shogun and Far Pavilions cover Asian HF, GWTW US-based (or movie) fiction, Katherine for historical romance, also Captain from Castile, although that one covers military HF too, and Count of Monte Cristo for HF classics.
5) I happen to have read and liked all of them.
If IIRC, the reason there are 2 GWTW images is that I couldn't decide between the movie poster and the original book cover, so I picked one. Later, Fred made all the images in that file rotate, so they both come up from time to time.
I'd take suggestions for others that fit the bill, except then I would have to figure out how I did it the first time.

FredQ
Technical Librarian
Currently reading: The Templars, Two Kings and a Pope
Interest in HF: I like how HF can fill in the gaps where we don't have enough information.
Preferred HF: Everything about the Knights Templars

Post by FredQ » Wed June 10th, 2020, 8:33 am

Hi,

Just send them to me and I will add them to the list ;)

red805
Avid Reader

Post by red805 » Thu June 11th, 2020, 6:03 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:
Tue June 9th, 2020, 2:57 pm
Actually, the banner isn't meant to be the best ever, it's just what I could cobble together in a hurry, and, as I'm fairly neglectful, I've never gone back to update it, since that would mean jogging my old brain as to how the process was originally done.
But the reason those books are up there is
1) the authors are all dead and gone, so as to save any push from current authors who want to market;
2) the copyright on the cover images has also expired, so no legal issues there;
3) all the books are widely recognized as being worth the reader's time;
4) they represent variety within the HF umbrella. Hornblower for nautical, Fire From Heaven and I Claudius for classical-era, Shogun and Far Pavilions cover Asian HF, GWTW US-based (or movie) fiction, Katherine for historical romance, also Captain from Castile, although that one covers military HF too, and Count of Monte Cristo for HF classics.
5) I happen to have read and liked all of them.
If IIRC, the reason there are 2 GWTW images is that I couldn't decide between the movie poster and the original book cover, so I picked one. Later, Fred made all the images in that file rotate, so they both come up from time to time.
I'd take suggestions for others that fit the bill, except then I would have to figure out how I did it the first time.
Thank you Emily! How could I forget the Count of Monte Cristo! I would nominate The Thornbirds if you're going to add anything.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu June 11th, 2020, 6:58 pm

A great book! I just googled Colleen McCullough and was surprised to discover she's passed on. Can you find a cover image? Preferably an old one, I don't know how long Australian copyright runs, altho any publisher would be an idiot to nix free promotion. But there are a lot of idiots around, and it only takes one. Fred can put it in the rotation. Time to liven that strip up a bit.

red805
Avid Reader

Post by red805 » Thu June 11th, 2020, 7:23 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:
Thu June 11th, 2020, 6:58 pm
A great book! I just googled Colleen McCullough and was surprised to discover she's passed on. Can you find a cover image? Preferably an old one, I don't know how long Australian copyright runs, altho any publisher would be an idiot to nix free promotion. But there are a lot of idiots around, and it only takes one. Fred can put it in the rotation. Time to liven that strip up a bit.
Oh well, I just googled Australian copyright & it looks like we have to wait another 65 years for this one! Check back with me then :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”