Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Balancing Historical Accuracy With Modern Ideas

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
WaitingCynicism
Scribbler
Preferred HF: Middle Ages

Balancing Historical Accuracy With Modern Ideas

Post by WaitingCynicism » Fri September 27th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Hello everyone! Apologies if this post could be considered too political/religious/controversial, figured I'd just let you all know in advance. I've wanted to work on a tabletop/novel setting for a while now, and I have begun earnestly working on the setting and preparing for NaNoWriMo this year.

However, I feel like I have run into some problems.

I feel like when I run a game in the setting, I'd want to run it in such a way that LGBT+ people are accepted, can get married, etc. just so that the players feel comfortable in the setting. I know that the actual Middle Ages was... not the most LGBT+ friendly, to put it politely. Is there a way I can balance both historical accuracy and the fictional aspects of medieval ages being homophobic? I have no plans of even publishing it, mostly just want to write it.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Balancing Historical Accuracy With Modern Ideas

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue October 1st, 2019, 5:16 pm

Sounds like you picked the wrong era. For your purposes, go back to Rome or Greece.
History is what it is. If you tried to write a scenario with Ghengis Khan as a peacemaker, it would just be silly. This is in the same vein.
Most HF readers want to learn something useful. Re-framing what really happened isn't.

LoyalRam
Currently reading: "The War on Alcohol" by Lisa McGirr
Interest in HF: Reading "Isaac's Storm by Erik Larsen was what did it for me. Of course he is telling a story involving real events using real people, but he has to fill in the gaps of what he doesn't know with supposition and smart reasoning as to how a character will respond to situations.
Favourite HF book: "Isaac's Storm"
Preferred HF: I like the late Victorian and Early Edwardian period. Genre? I like mixing magical realism in storis that I write

Post by LoyalRam » Wed October 2nd, 2019, 4:54 pm

I agree with MLE. Pick an era where LGBT issues could be spoken of within the context of that society. Romans and Greeks, as she said. I am sure that I am not the only historian on this forum, but presentism is a danger.

WaitingCynicism
Scribbler
Preferred HF: Middle Ages

Post by WaitingCynicism » Thu October 3rd, 2019, 5:51 pm

True, I am intending for a mix of history and fantasy in the setting (King Arthur actually existed in the setting, as an example), but I might go back and rework the setting.

Return to “General Discussion”