Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Animals and medication

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sun October 26th, 2008, 11:38 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]In the UK we can't put our pets in kennels/catteries when we go on holidays unless they are fully vaccinated, plus kennel cough. They don't have to have the rabies jab, though.[/quote]

What Penny had to go through to get here was terrible! She had to be upto date on her vaccines, but not her lepto one! That one had to lapse so when she had bloods taken her lepto level was ok, or she would have been refused entry to Australia. It took 4 lots of bloods to show that her level was consistant not spiking as if she had contracted lepto. The last one came back just in time as her flight and quarantine was all booked for the following week.

Then, once we got her back here she then had to have a vet check to pick up the Australian vaccines needed! Poor thing! Luckily she loves going to the vets!

BTW She takes meds in peanut butter or cheese! We try to vary it!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun October 26th, 2008, 1:27 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]Not sure why I'm sharing this, other than to say, if you have a pet, question vaccinations. We totally over-vaccinate our animals[/quote]
I'm pleased that the rabies vacc is now effective for three years instead of just one. Going forward, I'll wait to take my cats in for exams every three years. Then they can get the distemper update and others. They're primarily house cats, but Kona the sealpoint Siamese, sneaks out occasionally and is at risk of contact with feral cats in the surrounding woods. With his built-in siren of a voice, I'm sure they give him wide berth though.

My two Cocker spaniels get boarded at the vet at least a couple times a year, so I must comply with the vaccine update requirements there.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun October 26th, 2008, 5:19 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]In the UK we can't put our pets in kennels/catteries when we go on holidays unless they are fully vaccinated, plus kennel cough. They don't have to have the rabies jab, though.[/quote]

Same here but the American Veterinary Assoication has now realized that vaccianting pets every years is way too much. They now recommend the puppy/kitten shots, another round a year later, then only every three years. And then most vets say that after a certain age they are immunized for life and don't need them anymore. My vet says age 10. Good kennels and boarding institutions are aware of this change but some of them that are not as well informed still insist on yearly vac's. To be fair, probably most of this is due to their insurance companies insistence and their failure to update their policies with respect to this new information.

I've come across this but I eventually found a place that agreed to board my pets based on the new vaccine information. I would never over vaccinate my pets just to get them placed in boarding. If a business wants my $$ then they'll be sure they are properly informed as to new veterinary procedures and their policies will reflect that! :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon October 27th, 2008, 1:57 am

Three years is now the standard, but I'm too nervous about doing it even that much. As long as her titers are high, I'm not risking it. But I can't board her at any facilities here for that very reason: they want proof of vaccinations, though in SF they are most;y accepting every three years as proof.

So, when we travel, I have a friend who cares for Paris. I once hired a petsitter, too; it cost about the same as a boarding facility, and she stayed in my home with Paris. Of course when we got home Paris looked at us as if to say, Uh? Excuse me? You're back already? I was having so much fun being spoiled rotten :)
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon October 27th, 2008, 9:40 am

Actually, I'm sure it is a money making market for vets, all this vaccinating. In fact, it's a money making market full stop. Vets tell us to have our animals 'wormed' every three months and apparently that's not necessary at all - every six months is quite adequate.

We've often thought about getting pet sitters instead of sending them off to kennels. We have two cats and two dogs plus a hamster, so it could work out cheaper! We have to put the dogs in separate kennels, too, as they don't always get on. They get their jealous heads on sometimes if one is given more attention than the other.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Mon October 27th, 2008, 2:31 pm

I continue to give my dogs a monthly heartworm preventative med which is formulated for other intestinal parasites as well. Mosquitoes on the SC coast are large enough to pick up my tiny spaniel while feeding and carry her away! I don't believe I could get over the guilt of having one of dogs suffer heartworm disease when I can prevent it.

But what expensive stuff! Has anyone here ordered these meds online and had them delivered, instead of buying from your vet?
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon October 27th, 2008, 2:33 pm

I don't purchase meds very often and kitty's an indoor kitty so I don't need advantage but check out entirelypets.com. I've ordered the dental chews through them and they are much cheaper than the vet's prices. Came very quickly as well.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon October 27th, 2008, 8:23 pm

I get my heart worm stuff through an online pet pharmacy (I think it's Petmeds.com) and it's a lot less expensive. I should give it to Paris with more regularity, too; but in SF the heart worm incidence is quite low. Still, thanks for reminding me to out her back on it!
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Mon October 27th, 2008, 8:31 pm

In KY I had to make sure to put HW meds on Lila all through the spring, summer, and early fall. It was really prevalent out there. Our new vet here in So. Cal actually recommends against it unless you will be travelling to an area with a problem. It's not just my vet's policy but the policy of the entire clinic. They recommend the least amount of drugs and medications as possible. I have to say I'm very happy with that. You know if they were just out for the money they would sell it to who ever asked for it! Same with the vaccines as they really are a big money maker for the vets!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon October 27th, 2008, 11:29 pm

Oh, good to know. I'll check with my vet; he's new, a real sweetheart who took care of Paris when she got attacked by a pitbull last year. My vet before him at the same clinic was a proponent of heartworm meds year-round but she was never very forward, except where the vaccines are concerned (and mostly because I insisted.)
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Chat”