Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Animals and medication

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat October 25th, 2008, 10:28 am

My cat, Harry, is horrendous for getting tablets down him I've tried wrapping him up in a blanket but he still sticks his claws in me! I usually get the vet to do it if it's just worming or flea spot-ons. If it's because he's not well, I try crushing up his tablets in tuna or sardines. It's always hit and miss. With my dogs, I just use cheese, it works a treat!
Last edited by Vanessa on Sat October 25th, 2008, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 25th, 2008, 12:03 pm

Cats are damned near impossible, and they make you feel guilty as all h*** for doing it to them. Even if you try to get sneaky and catch them unawares whilst they're napping comfortably on the bed, they eventually know that look in your eyes and the hand behind your back. Worse, is brushing their teeth. Misfit the kitty cat is due for her check up tomorrow and I know I'm going to get the lecture again. Like they really think she's going to let me get away with that on a regular basis. :o

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Sat October 25th, 2008, 12:50 pm

[quote=""Alaric""]When our rabbit was sick last year, I had to give her a daily injection of her antibiotics through the mouth. She naturally hated it. [/quote]

I had to do the same with my guinea pig ! And he hated it aswell at first, but it was more the plastic thing that he hated than te antibiotics and after a couple of days he was licking it away as if it was the yumiest thing in the world ! LOL !

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat October 25th, 2008, 3:43 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]What we need is a cat or dog treat that has a place to put the pill in it already.

SM[/quote]

They have them already. They're called "pill pockets". They're made by several companies. I've tried 4 different brands and none of them work! Arrgh! Here's what I get for bragging about my ingenious method of hiding his pills: now he won't touch the treats!! Even without the pills in them!! He must've gotten a whif or taste of the meds yesterday. So this morning it was back to the wrestling match with the pill gun again! :rolleyes:
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat October 25th, 2008, 5:23 pm

Bummer! Jasper would never turn down a treat even if it had pills in them.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat October 25th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Neither will Tanzy, although sometimes she's able to eat the treat and still spit the pill back out. Sometimes I wonder if she does it because she's figured out that the more times she spits it out, the more treats she gets as we try and get it down her!

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Sun October 26th, 2008, 4:05 am

I've never figured out why they don't make pet-friendly / tasty meds, either. I'm fortunate that my 8 year old Corgi, Paris, is so healthy and so I've had to "pill" her only twice.

My last dog, my beloved Cha-Cha was a rescue and I had no idea where she came from, other than she'd been through a lot of shelters before I got her. She was beautiful - a Corgi/Dachsund mix - but so freaked out when she first arrived, she collapsed on our bed from sheer exhaustion and slept for 9 hours solid. Literally. When she awoke, she took one look at my partner Erik and me through her big sleepy brown eyes and we knew we'd found an angel.

I adored her; she was our first dog in over 10 years, as we'd just bought our house and no pets were allowed in our previous rented apartment. I put her on a raw diet and she transformed into this vibrant, healthy animal. When her annual vaccinations came around, I followed my vet's advice and innoculated her, unaware that she'd been shot up with vaccines repeatedly at the various shelters she'd passed through, without any regard for her history or her age. My vet estimated she was probably about 8 or 9 when I got her.

Due to the vaccines - the leptosporiosis part, in specific - she developed a horrifying autoimmune disease that attacked her skin; she had to be on prednisone and numerous other meds, and she was so patient with me as I fought to save her life. In the end, after nearly five months of illness, she simply got too weak and I had to let her go. It shattered me.

With Paris, I followed an extremely modified vaccine regimen: the three sets of puppy shots spaced months apart, one annual booster, and that's it. I do titer (antibody tests) on her every two years and she's demonstrating full immunity. There is no need for boosters or annual shots.

Not sure why I'm sharing this, other than to say, if you have a pet, question vaccinations. We totally over-vaccinate our animals, though pioneering research done right here in CA at UC Davies is demonstrating that cats and dogs, and other animals, have similiar memory function in their immune systems to humans. We don't get repeated polio shots, so now the thinking is slowly changing to, why should we subject domestic animals to the risk of repeated hyper-immune stimulation that vaccines can cause?

But of course the vaccine industry for pets is worth millions of dollars and every year they sponsor thousands of new vets through college in order to perpetuate the same dangerous practice. It's barbaric, in my opinion.

Okay, rant over. Sorry!

My vet has now adopted this regimen and encourages new puppy and cat owners to do it. She also says that once an animal is six, no boosters or new vaccinations are necessary unless they live in a very high-risk area for disease.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun October 26th, 2008, 4:45 am

Interesting about the vaccines! Does that go for rabies as well?

By the way, I started a Pet Pix forum for you and everyone else to post their pet pictures! I'd love to see a picture of Paris. Corgis are so cute.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun October 26th, 2008, 5:50 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]My last dog, my beloved Cha-Cha was a rescue and I had no idea where she came from, other than she'd been through a lot of shelters before I got her. She was beautiful - a Corgi/Dachsund mix - but so freaked out when she first arrived, she collapsed on our bed from sheer exhaustion and slept for 9 hours solid. Literally. When she awoke, she took one look at my partner Erik and me through her big sleepy brown eyes and we knew we'd found an angel.

[/quote]

Lack of sleep is a very common, but overlooked, problem in shelter dogs. The environment is so stressful and dogs are barking all the time that the poor things never get a good full nights sleep. It contributes to all sorts of behavioral problems with them and so many never leave the shelter because of it! A good 9 hours of sleep was the best possible start to Cha Cha's life with you! :)

And I also feed my dog and my F2 Savannah a raw diet. It is the healthiest possible way to feed them!! I would feed my other two cats raw also but my old guy refuses and the F3 Savannah will eat commercial food if it's in the house. He will eat a small amount though. I'm trying to keep him familiar with it so he'll transition easier when the day comes that I switch him to full raw.

Funny thing is I started researching a raw diet after Lila almost died from an auto immune disease about 5 years ago. Her body started turning on her platelets and she was literally bleeding from the pores of her skin. The vet said the likelyhood of it returning was about 80%. A raw diet is supposed to help with auto-immune issues and *knock on wood* she hasn't had another episode since!! Also we do every three years for the vaccines! It's great to see another raw feeder! Good for you!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun October 26th, 2008, 10:23 am

In the UK we can't put our pets in kennels/catteries when we go on holidays unless they are fully vaccinated, plus kennel cough. They don't have to have the rabies jab, though.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Chat”