Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

List your favorite Top 10 Historical Fiction Reads

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
scubachick420
Scribbler

Post by scubachick420 » Thu October 27th, 2011, 8:15 pm

[quote=""SGM""]I loved East of Eden and, I think GoK along with Checkmate were my favourites of Dunnett so far but I haven't yet finished the House of Niccolo set.

I read Taras Bulba aeons ago but loved that too as with the Robert Graves books (including Goodbye to All That - but differently).[/quote]

I had not heard of Taras Bulba, so I looked it up and sounds interesting. I was fortunate to travel to Russia about 15 yrs ago, and will have to add this to TBR pile! thanks SGM.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri October 28th, 2011, 7:47 pm

[quote=""scubachick420""]I had not heard of Taras Bulba, so I looked it up and sounds interesting. I was fortunate to travel to Russia about 15 yrs ago, and will have to add this to TBR pile! thanks SGM.[/quote]

I didn't bring it up first someone a couple of posts before me did that and it reminded me. If you can the take the style of film, you can watch Tony Curtis in it.

I did take in the USSR before the wall came down but that was Leningrad. However, I always wanted to do the Ukraine. Dr Zhivago made me want to do the more rural areas of Russia but have never quite made it. Simon Schama's Landscape and Memory (or Memory and Landscape - I can never remember which way round it is -- starts in the Ukraine, however, it is a mammoth tome.
Last edited by SGM on Fri October 28th, 2011, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

scubachick420
Scribbler

Post by scubachick420 » Sat November 19th, 2011, 1:11 pm

[quote=""SGM""]I did take in the USSR before the wall came down but that was Leningrad. However, I always wanted to do the Ukraine. Dr Zhivago made me want to do the more rural areas of Russia but have never quite made it. Simon Schama's Landscape and Memory (or Memory and Landscape - I can never remember which way round it is -- starts in the Ukraine, however, it is a mammoth tome.[/quote]

I just saw your response and thanks for another interesting recommendation. I can request this book from my library.

I had a unique opportunity to stay with various artist's families in many of the villages. It was so interesting to see the vast difference of how warm and friendly the Russians were inside their homes versus the dark, depressing exterior streets and buildings. It was quite a memorable experience. I had brought a warm, red wool coat and walking around Moscow i felt like the little girl in Schindler's List. Everyone wore black and grey. Boy, was I conspicuous!

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat November 19th, 2011, 9:41 pm

[quote=""scubachick420""]I had not heard of Taras Bulba, so I looked it up and sounds interesting. I was fortunate to travel to Russia about 15 yrs ago, and will have to add this to TBR pile! thanks SGM.[/quote]

Taras Bulba is one of many great Russian historical fiction novels (and my personal favourite). Ernest Hemmingway said it was one the the best books he had ever read.

A Russian language film version came out a few years back if you like these types of films. its really, really good (amazing costumes and sets, and an outstanding lead actor) and follows the book with some embelleshment.

Taras Bulba. Cossaks and Hussars. I highly recommend it (with English subtitles if you dont speak Russian).

They even got the hairstlyes on the cossaks right (shaved head with a long foreknot)

scubachick420
Scribbler

Post by scubachick420 » Sun November 20th, 2011, 2:02 pm

I am definitely going to read this one and look for the film. I only know a few words of Russian so will need the subtitles.

writerinthenorth
Reader

What counts as historical fiction?

Post by writerinthenorth » Thu November 24th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Would you count 'Vanity Fair' as historical fiction? If so, that does it for me, along with 'A Tale of Two Cities'.

Return to “General Discussion”