Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who are your favorite romance authors??

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed November 5th, 2008, 9:57 am

I have really enjoyed all her books!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed November 5th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Roberta Gellis's creation Alinor is a woman almost too hot to handle for her husbands Simon le Magne and Ian de Vipont. She's smart and uppity and runs rings round all the men. That Simon and Ian can handle her is down to her permitting them to do so. Even while they still manage to be men's men, Alinor's in charge. What's more, Alinor firmly remains a woman of her time, and not some anachronistic modern woman in a long frock.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Spitfire
Reader

Postby Spitfire » Wed November 5th, 2008, 3:42 pm

I have to agree with EC, Gellis's Roselynde Chronicles are excellent! I have read the first three in the series so far...Roselynde (the story of Alinore and Simon) Alinore (the story of Ian and Alinore...my favorite ) and Joanna (the story of Alinore's daughter and Geoffrey) What I appreciated in this series is that Gellis did her research and kept true to the period that she was writing in. If you enjoy the medieval period during the riegn of King Richard, Prince John and their mother Elanore of Aquitaine, and you enjoy a well written romance...then these are the books for you!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

MrsMorland
Reader

Postby MrsMorland » Wed November 5th, 2008, 9:40 pm

Victoria Holt, Mary Balogh, Jane Feather...I know I'm forgetting someone that I really like, I'll get back to ya!

ellenjane
Reader

Postby ellenjane » Tue November 25th, 2008, 10:18 pm

What would be a good Kleypas to start with? They sound like something I'd like for a bit of fun reading, but I hate reading books in a series out of order. :p

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue November 25th, 2008, 10:40 pm

As long as we've revived this thread, as much as I enjoyed Susan Carroll's Bridefinder books I do not recommend Winterbourne. I finally had to bail, it was so silly and so many little things that didn't fit the period that kept pulling me out of the story.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Wed November 26th, 2008, 1:18 am

Bridefinder is on my next order list. How would you rate it?
It's funny how my tbr pile grows and yet I still order a few every two weeks and I make a list as to what I order when...lol.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed November 26th, 2008, 1:38 am

Nona, it's been a couple of years since I've read them, but I gave them 4/5 stars -- and I rate according to genre, not say comparing a romance book to War and Peace (does that make sense?). They are fun, but they're not high fiction.

The last of the three was the most fun, when she let the ever so serious Val cut lose. Lots of funny moments.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed November 26th, 2008, 11:04 am

I rated the Susan Carroll St Ledger books about the same.

As to the question about Lisa Kleypas books, I would probably suggest starting with the Wallflower books

Secrets of a Summer Night
It Happened One Autumn
Devil in Winter
Scandal in Spring.

The current series then spins off from that one. And then there is a really good backlist to work your way through once you are hooked!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Jen Black
Scribbler

Romance authors

Postby Jen Black » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 8:11 pm

This thread may have dried up some time ago but since I'm new I thought I'd add my thoughts. I think of historicals and romances set in historical times as not such different things so I list authors like Mary Ballogh and Dorothy Dunnett in the same sentence. If I want something light and witty I might try a category romance by Louise Allen and I can be certain there will be a happy ending. If I choose Suzannah Dunn I'm not certain at all - in fact the end of Queen of Sorrows was horrifying. Ms Ballogh's usually wraps thing up attractively at the end though there mihght be some horrors along the way.
Ms Dunnett throws in everything but the kitchen sink and I say that in a Good Way - wit, style, drama, tension, sadness - they are all there.

Jen

Jen Black

Return to “Historical Romance”